Shady Phone/Business Practices
courtt329
Enthusiast - Level 1

In January of this year, I decided to contact verizon to eliminate my TV service but maintain my internet (50/50 plan). At that time, a representative assured me that the "consistent customer discount" would not add any more time onto my contract that was set to expire in September 2017. Upon review of my bill, it now appears that my agreement was extended until January of 2019.

This wouldn't be an issue if I could verify that my phone conversation with the representative did, in fact, guarantee that I would not be extending the length of my contract. I attempted to verify this via chat who indicated they could not help me and then called customer service, spoke to a representative for 16 minutes and asked to be  transferred to a supervisor. I've now been on hold being "transferred" to a supervisor for 30 minutes.

Deceptive sales practices and endless phone call runarounds is not a good business practice and I'm infuriated that I've now wasted another hour of my day trying to find answers. 

Re: Shady Phone/Business Practices
jonjones1
Legend

Little confused by the “consistent customer discount” statement.

first what was your initial date of service prior to being dropped down to internet only?

lets say your contract was September 15 2015 until September 15 2017, which means if you called in January 2017 and voided out a service you then violated your contract.

in this situation the internet only service may have been set to a new agreement to January 2019 (two year contract) which Verizon did without a penalty via January 2017 to January 2019 so that would have been correct.

because you  did a plan change prior to your contract end date of September 2017 the service was simply updated to a new end date.

0 Likes
courtt329
Enthusiast - Level 1

Initial date of service originally was 9/3/15. I called on 1/5/17 to go to just internet. I was assured at that time that my same contract end date of 9/3/17 would be maintained (that was fine).

However, upon multiple calls to Verizon, I’m now told that’s not the case and in removing a service I agreed to a new contract. Service being removed should not warrant an updated contract agreement date. Furthermore, when asked for the recording of all calls during the original change in service, Verizon put me on hold multiple times only to drop the call during the hold period. 

Stating that a “discount” warrants an updated contract is preposterous. In addition, had I known a new contract date would be established, which I asked the representative many of times, I would’ve just cancelled everything rather than just keeping the internet. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately I see that my assessment was correct.

its a terrible thing to modify a contract before end date. It gives the other party a way of either extending the contract which benefits Verizon or to have you simply break the contract all together and end up paying early termination fees which again benefits Verizon. The early termination fee for just 6 months would have been cheaper than getting internet only with a new two year contract extension and higher early termination fees. ($350+)

the choice is now up to you. Leave and pay, or stay and pay. Not really a great choice.

0 Likes