Stop Tricking Customers to Sign Contract-Bait and Switch
michellefazzina

What swayed me to become a Verizon customer over the competitors was the $200 Visa gift card that I received when I first signed up for a Triple Bundle without a contract in 2011.  I kept my contract on a month to month basis until my promotional period was over. 

In 2012, when my promotional period was over, I shopped around my other options, and weighed my options with consideration to signing a contract with Verizon.  I was told that if I signed a contract with your company, that I would receive a $250 Visa Gift card. I asked several times if I was really eligible for the gift card as I was an existing customer-and not a brand new one. Each time, I was reassured by customer service, that I was in fact eligible for the gift card due to signing a contract. 

I signed my first contract with your company and waited 60-90 days. No Visa gift card ever arrived. I called to check on the status-and was at that time told by the promotions department that I was never eligible to receive the gift card because that is only offered to brand new customers. I was very upset, and also past the 30 day cancellation period for cancelling the contract-and so was stuck in a contract with a company I was not very happy with, and never received the gift card I was promised. 

A few days before my contract was up again on June 7th of this year, I decided to once again shop my options, which included hearing what your company would offer me. I was given a competitive rate to keep my bundle of existing services-and also offered a $120 Visa Gift Card. 

Once again, I hesitated believing the validity of the offer of an additional gift card, as I was not a brand new customer, and under the understanding that these are offered to brand new customers only. "Steven" in the promotions department, assured me that I would be eligible for a new Visa card for signing a contract.  I asked him to check into the issue of my previously promised gift card in the amount of $250 from August 2012.  He researched my account, validated the CONFIRMATION EMAIL THAT I RECEIVED STATING I WOULD RECEIVE A $250 GIFT CARD IN AUGUST OF 2012, and stated that the card was not processed in error.  He told me that the next proper step would be to escalate the situation to the 'off line' team, and asked me to follow up in about a week. 

After one week, I called the promotions department to check on the status of the escalated dispute concerning the $250 Visa gift card promised to me in 2012 for signing a contract, but never received.  I spoke with a manger by the name of "{edited for privacy}" who was much, much less than helpful.  She told me that there was no escalated dispute. There was nothing to check on, there were no notes, and that I would never be eligible for the Visa gift card because it was beyond a 12 month period. She offered no other solutions, help or recourse. She told me that the emailed confirmation that I received back in August 2012 was received in error.  I asked her why it was an error, and why I was not eligible at the time (since anyone signing a contract is eligible for a gift card, regardless of new or existing customer status).  She did not have an answer of why I am eligible now for a gift card, but not back then, nor did she offer any solutions. 

Obviously, that is quite upsetting. Although I was very disappointed by your company the first time I signed a contract by being offered something that was never sent-but I chose not to aggressively fight or dispute that. In good faith, I consider your company as an option 2 years later when it's time to sign another contract, and the situation is brought to light again by the exact same sequence of events (being offered a gift card to resign).  

I would like for once and for all the situation of my $250 gift card promised to me for the contract that I signed in August 2012, to thoroughly be researched and have the final decision explained to me. Was I eligible for a Visa gift card at that time for resigning my contract? If not, why was I promised such by the Verizon employee who signed me to contract, and why was I sent a black and white email confirming that fact. If I WAS rightfully due a Visa gift card for signing-as promised-then I would like for this promotion to be paid to me once and for all.  I very much want to remain a happy customer of Verizon, and not feel compelled to tell my story and all over the internet, and in reviews, or to anyone who would listen about "Verizon's bait and switch tactics, where they promise you gift cards to sign contracts, but then will switch it and say that was an error and you are not eligible."  That is exactly what happened to me. 

Please review my account, and see that everything I have detailed in this email is an accurate and true account of the activity that has transpired while I've been a customer with your company-and I am not happy. I am hoping the executive/legal team can shed some light on this issue, or have the interest in making this right for a loyal, good paying customer. $250 is a lot of money to me, and could go a long way in my life. For the record, I was laid off on Sunday and so scrutinizing my budget and getting my monthly bills down are more important that ever. I'd like to keep my luxury bundle services, but my services don't feel so luxurious when I feel like my service provider has lied and tricked me into signing a contract that I can't get out of. 

I eagerly look forward to your response. Thanks for taking the time to consider me as a customer. 
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Stop Tricking Customers to Sign Contract-Bait and Switch
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: Stop Tricking Customers to Sign Contract-Bait and Switch
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, michellefazzina

We did not hear back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Mitchell

0 Likes