Termination fee improperly charged when moved to area without service and been in collections since
smtovenice

After multiple agents confirmed I wouldn't be charged a termination fee (or would be credited for it) when I moved to an area with no FIOS and no high speed internet service at all (just dial-up!), they charged it anyway, didn't send the bill to the new address I had given them, and I didn't know until I was sent to collections (prior to the time permitted by law) and then wouldn't let me speak to Verizon agents ever again. I have been trying to dispute through each collection agency ever since while my credit continues to drop unfairly.  They already got to keep $79 of it thanks to my auto-pay (they didn't sufficiently credit me for the amount they improperly charged for service after termination/returning equipment because of the termination fee) but at this point they can keep that, I just want the rest of it acknowledged as not owed and off my credit report. I am incredibly disappointed in Verizon and hope I can finally speak to someone and resolve, I can provide all the details on various calls with agents etc. as needed. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Termination fee improperly charged when moved to area without service and been in collections si
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The agents are incorrect. There is an ETF if you end you contract before the end of its term. It does not matter that there is no service at your new address. The contract only applies to your current address. Read the fine print.

0 Likes
Re: Termination fee improperly charged when moved to area without service and been in collections si
smtovenice

Thanks but I am an attorney and don't need to be told to read the fine print (not like you actually get to read anything when you sign up on the phone anyway, there certainly wasn't an opportunity in my case).  The agent's supervisor approved waiving it in my situation - it may have been because I was also being forced to move since I could not renew my lease.  It was to be noted in the initial termination order. What might have gone wrong was that shortly after I had to cancel and reinstate the termination order to try to port my number - that agent promised the note would remain, and later promised it would be credited, but it didn't happen. Regardless of what the fine print says, if a Verizon representative (in my case, more than one) promises a consumer something, and the consumer relies on it, that is what matters.  Companies waive policies all the time.  I would really appreciate it if someone from Verizon could help prior to going more public with this. Thanks.

0 Likes