Verizon internet service is not prorated
nchhattani

Hi:

I switched to another provider and called Verizon to cancel the internet service and they said my renewal happened a day before and I will be charged completely till the next month just because they don't provide prorated billing. I mentioned that their competitors and all the other players in the market do so but they were stuck to their point. I think its not even legal to do so and planning to reach out to BBB to report the same.

Thanks.,

Navin

0 Likes
Re: Verizon internet service is not prorated
jonjones1
Legend

@nchhattani wrote:

Hi:

I switched to another provider and called Verizon to cancel the internet service and they said my renewal happened a day before and I will be charged completely till the next month just because they don't provide prorated billing. I mentioned that their competitors and all the other players in the market do so but they were stuck to their point. I think its not even legal to do so and planning to reach out to BBB to report the same.

Thanks.,

Navin

This is a common complaint or misunderstanding with consumers.

verizon bills in advance. Yes it’s crazy but when you look at your invoice and it says for service from July 18, 2018 through August 17, 2018 you must cancel the service BEFORE THE 17th. as an example. If you cancel on August 18, 2018 you are into the next billing cycle.

if you get billed that is the reason, and it’s in the terms of service we agree to as customers. 

And cable does the same thing so other providers do not prorate. If they wish to it would be a courtesy on their part and not an obligation.

0 Likes
nchhattani

Well other cable providers like optimum don't bill that way...they have a defined billing cycle irrespective of when you start the service and they bill you prorated based on when you start and end the service.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nchhattani wrote:

Well other cable providers like optimum don't bill that way...they have a defined billing cycle irrespective of when you start the service and they bill you prorated based on when you start and end the service.

The billing cycle is what it is. I have noted that when I signed up for Fios my service started on the 18th. So let’s assume it’s from that date to the 17th. of next month. However I noticed no matter what day you sign up for services it’s always a prorated charge. Figure that one out. Then on an advance payment Verizon changed the due dates by 5 days less. So service payment is now due earlier and in advance, but that cancel date remains the same. But no prorated monies back.

i don’t know about optimum but when we were with Time Warner the start and end dates changed from the start of our services to another time frame. But it clearly shows the start and end dates. I called in advanced to cancel, no monthly bill was due at the end. All was terminated properly.

its the responsibility as consumers to watch our start of service/end of service dates.

we avoid the situation you are now in if you cancelled your service prior to the end/start date.

what other providers may or may not do in reference to their billing has no bearing on how Verizon Fios bills for services.

0 Likes