Verizon will cheat you out of free DVR for life deal if you make any Equipment change - even adding
mikescrivo
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have free DVR for life and make any change to your equipment even adding a new set top box, DVR , or cable card you will be cheated out of your DVR for life.

I have 3 DVRs plus a standard set top box and the ultimate triple play package. My bill shows the 2 room multi DVR package rental, the multi room discount of ~$19, and an additional rental of 2 DVRs. I called to inquire about upgrading to Quantum, adding a cable card for my computer, and possibly returning 1 or 2 of the DVRs as my kids are out of the house soon. The customer service representative tells me that would eliminate my discount. I say ok then I’ll just get an additional cable card. Come to find out if I make any change to the equipment at all even adding any equipment – DVR, STB, or cable card I would lose my multi room discount. In talking to the customer service representative he agreed that this was absurd as I wanted to keep the 2 room multi DVR package and upgrade my service but he could not do anything about it - it is hard coded into the Verizon computer system! Having this hard coded in the Verizon system so their customer service people can’t even reverse it is what makes it clear Verizon is trying to cheat people!

Verizon wants its money so they want to keep you on their STBs/DVRs so that they can generate revenue with On-Demand. In my case I am better off getting rid of all my STBs & DVRs and replace them with a Tivo plus Tivo extenders and get On-Demand through streaming. Verizon actually loses any chance of getting future On-Demand revenue from me. Just ridiculous all the way around. Plus knowing they are out to cheat people and in doing so they are hurting their own interests in my case I need to decide if I should upgrade or not continue to do business with Verizon at all.

Is there anyone at Verizon who can explain this insanity ?

Re: Verizon will cheat you out of free DVR for life deal if you make any Equipment change - even add
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi mikescrivo,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.