Why can't I keep my current plan when I renew?
Phoenix981
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a verizon customer for well over 20 years and I am now very frustrated!  I am due to renew my contract and it looks like I am being forced to upgrade to the 300/300 Internet.  I do not need it, my computer may not support it, and I definately cannot afford an additional $100 a month.  My husband and I (like many others) are living paycheck to paycheck and between our wireless and Triple play package we are paying over $700 a month to Verizon!  I have been on chat and tried in every way I can to just extend and keep my current package but cannot.  It looks like Verizon is not giving me a choice! 

Am I going to have to call and spend hours on the phone to be told ... I have no choice...? 

has anyone else run into this problem?  And if so, how did you resolve this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I keep my current plan when I renew?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phoenix98 wrote:

I have been a verizon customer for well over 20 years and I am now very frustrated!  I am due to renew my contract and it looks like I am being forced to upgrade to the 300/300 Internet.

I'm curious; what Verizon services and plan do you currently have?

It's a bit surprising that you're being forced to 300/300.   I've never encountered Verizon requiring a specific speed as part of a bundle, other than the minimum they currently offer.  300/300 is certainly not the minimum.

Are you calling 1-800-Verizon or going through a 3rd party reseller?  Have you tried the online service management and ordering tools?

Are you coming of a new customer promotional rate?  If so, that could explain some of the price increase.  Verizon, like other large providers, offers two year new customer discounts that can't be renewed.  However, you can almost always renew the same package and service level at a higher price.

I've found that come renewal time, a polite phone call stating my plans to cancel usually results in a "valued customer discount" for 12 months.  While not as large as a new customer discount, it helps.

As far as "choice," you don't have to be in a contract.  You can go month to month.  You can switch providers.  Heck, you could even drop all service and live in a tent; but I don't think you want to go that far.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

ck123

WOW!!! And I am mad about 5 dollar extra charge on 97 dollar a month. I too am extremely frustrated and mad about their business and customer service. I am going to go to another carrier if they dont remove the $5 for the remainder of contract, and they will be in breach of contract. I had spent hours on phone in april and may and it was ok til now. Now I am back on phone for hours just for $5. Its the principle more than anything else, but if you take $5 and multiply it by millions...   Thanks for letting me vent.

0 Likes
Phoenix981
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am so frustrated. I guess i will have to spend hours on the phone then threaten to cancel ... this is ridiculous!
0 Likes
crittermom
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, go back and look how many previous similiar complaints there are.

After being escalated and repeated attempts the only thing I really got was a headache. I'm already looking into other options, no rush as I'll just keep getting screwed by Verizon since they think I have several months remaining on my contract. I suffer from chronic pain and this added stress hasn't helped me one whit.

I wish you luck though, as you are sure going to need it.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phoenix98 wrote:

I have been a verizon customer for well over 20 years and I am now very frustrated!  I am due to renew my contract and it looks like I am being forced to upgrade to the 300/300 Internet.

I'm curious; what Verizon services and plan do you currently have?

It's a bit surprising that you're being forced to 300/300.   I've never encountered Verizon requiring a specific speed as part of a bundle, other than the minimum they currently offer.  300/300 is certainly not the minimum.

Are you calling 1-800-Verizon or going through a 3rd party reseller?  Have you tried the online service management and ordering tools?

Are you coming of a new customer promotional rate?  If so, that could explain some of the price increase.  Verizon, like other large providers, offers two year new customer discounts that can't be renewed.  However, you can almost always renew the same package and service level at a higher price.

I've found that come renewal time, a polite phone call stating my plans to cancel usually results in a "valued customer discount" for 12 months.  While not as large as a new customer discount, it helps.

As far as "choice," you don't have to be in a contract.  You can go month to month.  You can switch providers.  Heck, you could even drop all service and live in a tent; but I don't think you want to go that far.

Good Luck.

Phoenix981
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to thank this forum for their help.  Turns out, that the web site is very deceiving.  I was able to get the new contract plus the Quantum and now my bill will be $20 less a month.  So from now on, when it comes to Verizon, you need to talk to a human being and not deal with their Web site!

Time to keep my eye on this forum from now on...

0 Likes