BYOD promotional scam
grzzzzzzzzz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I transferred my two lines from T-Mobile to Verizon on 19 SEP 2020, at the Verizon Authorized Dealer – Victra, at 13981 S Virginia St, Suite 401 in Reno, NV 89511. I received a paper flier in the mail, which stated that if I bring my own devices to Verizon from T-Mobile I will receive $450 (in Verizon gift cards) for each transferred line. When I got to Victra, I inquired about this promotion and was told that it was online-only and what they have is a $250 (in Verizon gift cards) for each transferred line. I decided to go with this, since I was already there and didn’t want to have any lapse in service. I even accepted the $19.99 (per line) “Set up and Go Plus” fee they charged me at the store ($43.28 total), which was on top of the usual activation fee charged with the first bill. This honestly should’ve been a red flag already.

Anyway, I was told that I will receive the two gift cards within 6-8 weeks, which was consistent with the online offer terms and conditions. Couple weeks later I decided to call Verizon to check if everything was correct – I was told by the representative that yes, he sees the promotion and that I will receive the gift cards in 6-8 weeks since sign up.

I waited the 8 weeks and have not received anything. I called the main Verizon Customer Service line multiple times at this point and got no help, even mixed or conflicting information. I also attempted to contact Verizon through Twitter support account on 23 NOV 2020 where I was told to: “visit the store location for more information about the promotion they were offering” – support by “*AXL”.

I took the last advice and went to the Victra location again, on multiple days. First time, one of the representatives took my information down and said that my order was most likely submitted with wrong code and that it happened to another customer so they will fix that for me. Week later, nothing happened, I went to the store and waited literally 65 minutes, to be finally told that it is Black Friday week, so their Verizon liaisons are currently unavailable and that I will get a call back on Monday. Nothing happened, my wife went to the store again, was told the same lie yet again, and yet again no one called.

Finally, being blown off by the Victra management numerous times, I went to a Verizon corporate store earlier today and I was told they do not have any tools, which would allow them to resolve this problem and the only thing they provided was a phone number to Verizon “Loyalty Team”.

Obviously, I am still interested in receiving the two $250 gift cards, however as this is the most absurd customer service-related situation I have encountered in the last few years, I do not think there is anything that can happen to change my mind about Verizon and the way they "care" about their clients and particularly this Authorized Retailer.

Re: BYOD promotional scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of receiving your gift cards, grzzzzzzzzz, and want to help in any way we can. We need more information to ensure you get the information you need. How were your gifts cards applied for? Online or over the phone with our rebate center? 

CheyenneS_VZW

0 Likes
Jaypea33
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar problem we added one line with $250 BYOD promo in October and set everything up through online chat and picked up the sim card in store. The online customer service rep messaged a link for the promotion and I submitted the same night and have an email showing my submission. I confirmed in the email link  and was brought back to the Verizon page where it confirmed my application and indicated that the new line would need to be active 30 (or 45 can't recall which) days before the rebate would be issued. It has now been almost 2 months and when no rebate and when I go to check there is no evidence anymore in my Verizon account of my active submission and my email which linked to confirm only brings me to a new page as if I never submitted and now it's been over 30 days from activation. I have spent hours on the phone and waiting around/trying on online chat and getting the same two phone numbers which are no help, Verizon acting like the promotion team is separate and they can't do anything, the promotion referring back to Verizon. I'm so disappointed and frustrated and not sure what else to do I used to be so confident in Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey, Jaypea33! Have you submitted for the rebate at vzw.com/digitalrebatecenter? If you ordered before 10.15.20, use Promo Code SWITCHER250 and if it was after use Promo Code FALLSWITCH250 - Scott

0 Likes
Jaypea33
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you those are not working, I get the message the submission period for the offer you entered has ended. Our purchase date was 10/27/20, I tried both FALLSWITCH250 and though it was after the date you indicated also tried SWITCHER250 which indicated Promo code with order/purchase date can't be found. The code we were given originally was START250BYOD.

0 Likes