Unlimited Plus unavailable for bring your own device hotspot
Greynlds
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently purchased a MOFI4500 cellular hotspot device and activated a hotspot plan on my Verizon account, starting with the Unlimited hotspot plan that provides 15GB of data for $20 per month, or $10 when associated with my Unlimited phone plan.  After monitoring data usage, I decided that I should probably upgrade to the Unlimited Plus hotspot plan that provides 30GB of data for $30 per month, or $15 when associated with my Unlimited phone plan.

The online account management won’t allow me to select Unlimited Plus, so I contacted support through chat.  After an hour long session yesterday, I was told I was all set and the change would be active in about 15 minutes.  No such luck, the change never happened.  So I started another chat session this morning and after another hour was told that I need to call into support.

I then spent over 2 hours on the phone with tech support, with the end result that she couldn’t switch my plan either.  So she created a ticket to attempt to get the Verizon software team to enable selection of the Unlimited Plus hotspot plan.  Naturally, I’m not optimistic that anything will come of this.

has anyone had any success getting the Unlimited Plus plan activated on a bring your own hotspot device?  If so, how did you get it selected?

0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Plus unavailable for bring your own device hotspot
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Greynlds ,

It's great to know that you've been checking out our Connected Device options, and that we've already gone through the correct path to help with your issue. This is not a common occurrence, although it does only exist when you use a non-Verizon device - being compatible enough with our network does not mean that you will have full compatibility with all of our plans or features. Please allow them the time they need to see if the Unlimited Plus plan is available to your BYOD modem, as each situation is unique.

0 Likes
Greynlds
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least from a customer perspective, the only difference between Unlimited and Unlimited Plus is Plus has double the monthly data allotment.  Ultimately, if the Unlimited Plus option isn’t made available, I’ll take my business elsewhere.

0 Likes
Greynlds
Enthusiast - Level 2

As of today, I still have no answer or even any indication that anything is being done.  I filled out a customer service survey almost a week ago and was asked if I wanted a manager to contact me about this issue.  I checked "yes" and have not received a call or any other form of contact from a manager yet.  This is frustrating.  I'm trying to pay Verizon more money per month and they literally won't let me.  The plan I would like to switch to should clearly be compatible with my hardware since it simply doubles how much data can be used per month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

First and foremost, I apologize that you've not received call from a member of our Leadership Team. We certainly understand how extremely busy many of our customers are and we always value your time. Thank you for filling out the customer service survey. OUr customer's feedback is always appreciated. As a valued customer, your concerns are our concerns too and we'd be more than glad to assist you. We've noted your reference about wanting to switch to a plan that meet s your usage needs that's compatible with your hardware. Can you tell us more about your hardware? We certainly want to see if it's compatible with our network. Did you know that you can quickly check to see if a device is compatible with the Verizon network? Check out our "Bring your own phone or device website for assistance at http://spr.ly/6606y3zGr. Please let us know if this helps. If additional assistance is needed, we'll be more than glad to continue working with you.  - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Greynlds
Enthusiast - Level 2

The device is a MOFI4500 wireless 4G mobile router / hotspot.  When I signed up for the Unlimited Plan, I entered the IMEI number (which I would prefer not to post on a public forum) of the MOFI4500 and it was recognized by your system and was indicated as compatible.  After using it for a few days and monitoring my data usage, I determined that if I did a lot of driving or went on a lengthy vacation, I would most likely exceed the 15GB monthly data allotment, so decided I should upgrade to the Unlimited Plus option, but the web site won't allow me to switch to that plan and customer support has been unable to do it for me.  If the device is listed as supported for the Unlimited plan, I can't fathom why it wouldn't be "compatible" with the Unlimited Plus plan, which simply gives me the ability to use more data on the months I might need it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greynlds, thanks for the details. We understand your concern about getting you set up on a plan that is going to meet your wireless needs. I need to gather more specific details from you. I've sent you a Private Note, please respond to that message. 

0 Likes
Greynlds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I saw the private message and responded to it last evening.  Let me know if any other info is needed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Greynlds, rest assured that we are still here for you, and an additional Private Note was sent to make sure that we can help resolve the plan change issue as soon as possible. We will be awaiting your response at your earliest convenience. 

KevinM_VZW

0 Likes
Greynlds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Kevin,

I responded to the 2nd private message shortly after I received it on 6/19.  You didn't request anything other than just a reply in that 2nd message.  Please let me know if you need anything else.

0 Likes