LG LTE Modem VPN Not Working....
ChicagoVZUser

Hi, I had a MIFI working great on my Win 7 notebook, but while the upgrade to the LG modem went smoothly, the VPN only sporadically works now.  By sporadically, I mean that sometimes it will connect after many minutes. Also, when it is connected, the throughput to the VPN resource (my company's corporate network) seems very slow.

We pretty much use the standard Micorosft VPN out of the box so there is no third-party VPN involved.

I've tried all sorts of VPN settings and none of them work. 

I'm wondering if there is a Verizon issue or if anyone knows of any testing programs, etc. The modem is pretty much useless without the VPN for me.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG LTE Modem VPN Not Working....
tranquilnet

I am having the same issue. Super annoying ...

PREVIOUSLY WORKING;

- windows 7 professional

- verizon mifi 3G

- Microsoft PPTP VPN

- OpenVPN

- pfSense PPTP VPN

*All VPNs were managed OUTSIDE of the Verizon VZAccess Manager

CURRENTLY NOT WORKING:

- windows 7 professional

- verizon LG VL600 4G LTE

- Microsoft PPTP VPN (sometimes works within Verizon VZAccess Manager)

- OpenVPN (does NOT work within Verizon VZAccess Manager)

- pfSense PPTP VPN (sometimes works within Verizon VZAccess Manager)

*All VPNs do NOT work OUTSIDE of the Verizon VZAccess Manager.

I spoke to verizon support for an hour and this is what they recommended:

1) Wait till a new version of VZAccess Manager comes that includes a fix that may work

2) Try the other 4G LTE device that is avaialble and see if that may work (I am going to test this next week)

3) Go back to the mifi device (not acceptible in my opinion)

What I do not understand is what is different NOW versus when the VPNs did work outside of the Verizon VZAccess Manager.  The verizon support said it had to do with IPv6 support but that did not sit well with me.

Could it be the device driver for the LG unit?

Could it be the VZAccess Manager Software?

I am stumped ... anyone find a solution?

Cheers,

-Will

0 Likes
JonnieR

I have a problem that also sounds similar

Window XP on Thinkpad

Verizon USB727 3G card

Solid VPN connectivity into a Northern Virginia corporate network for several years until late November / early December.  Then unable to connect to VPN on a sporadic basis

Testing today with a VPN in Northern Illinois also showed sporadic connectivity

When connection fails MS PPTP dialog shows “Connecting” and then times out after some time.  When connection is made the “Connecting” screen disappears very quickly or doesn’t show

Using “telnet [target address] 25” to telnet to the SMTP port always works

Using “telnet [target address] 1723” to telnet to initial VPN port works or fails just like connecting though the MS PPTP dialog

Another company employee is having similar problems with both a different Verizon 3G card and a MIFI mobile hub.

Have been working with Verizon tech on the problem.  He says the initial packet is leaving the Verizon network by no response is being received back into the Verizon network when the connection fails.

He has asked that we try to trap the initial packet coming into the Northern Virginia  VPN.  Will do that - hopefully during the week of 12/20

The tech was monitoring only the node that provides the interface to the wider internet

Using “tracert [target address]” I can see that there seem to always be 6 nodes between my laptop machine and the monitored node.  Those node ids vary.  But, because “tracert” is slow, I cannot say that failure occurs on a specific path within the Verizon network.

Speculation – Something in the Verizon network (or on my PC) is corrupting the initial packet, such that is not recognized (or is rejected) by the target VPN.  Trapping the initial packet coming into one of the VPNs (if the packet gets that far) might resolve this speculation. 

0 Likes
ChicagoVZUser

A little more info.

I can get it to work occasionally, but only after many, many retries. It might take 10 minutes to connect it.  It seems to work okay once it's connected. When I first got it working a bit, the connection to the resources over the VPN were very slow.  Saving a 100K file attachment in Outlook 2010 to a mapped drive over the VPN would take 10 minutes (or time out.)  On the other hand, Outlook itself seems to work okay.

It seems the VPN error is #800 - which is a general error and the same error that comes up if the IP address is wrong.  So the comment that it could be the initial "packet" that is getting corrupted sounds plausible. 

I'll be testing more over a the next few days and I'll report back.

The service is fast but the VPN access problems are a major pain.   It worked good using the MiFi, I hope this gets solved soon!

0 Likes
tranquilnet

UPDATE:

I tried the other 4G device and still have the same issues.

Verizon points the finger at the "VPN software", not their device and/or new 4G connection. However, they will not tell me how to fix the issue.

I have opened up a ticket with their support team.  They are supposed to contact met withing 5-7 business days.

0 Likes
ejuettner

I'm sorry for your troubles, but I'm glad to see this issue cropping up for other devices and other people.  I've been running into the same problem with the USB760.  If you switch your VPN type in its properties to the specific VPN you're using (PPTP or LPTP), you'll get a more specific error than 800.  I imagine you'd get the same thing as I am, error 678.  It really is infuriating since people rely on these connections, and there's not much I can do to help them here at the company.

0 Likes
JonnieR

Yesterday I tested with someone that handles our internal network support.  He set up a Windows VPN server, withoug a firewell, directly connected to the Internet.  At his location, he had he choice of two Internet providers, Cox Cable and Verizon FIOS.  We tested with each provider in turn while tracing the packets received and sent by the VPN server using WireShark.

With both providers, I could reliably connect from my laptop when it was connected to our internal network going out through our wired interface to Cox Cable. 

With both providers, I got the same behavior using the 3G Verizon wireless connection that I reported earlier.  When we examined the WireShark log, we did not see any connection attempt being rejected by the VPN server.  With both target networks when making a wireless connection, the first packet received was the request to port 1723 to establish the VPN connection.  It appears that no packets were received by the VPN server when the connection failed.

I have reported this information back to the Verizon tech with whom I have been working.  And I suggested to him that Verizon needs to monitor the connection attempt at the boundary between the Verizon wireless network and the wider Internet.  I have to believe that when the VPN connection cannot be established the packet is never leaving the Verizon wireless network or that is somehow invalid such that it is dropped by a node between that point and the VPN server.  

0 Likes
ejuettner

Thanks for doing further testing, Jonnie.  Hopefully there will be some sort of response soon.

0 Likes
rumurphy

This LTE problem with VPN access is happening for me. I called Verizon on 12/23 and they acknowledged it is a configuration problem on their end. They said they are working on it.. and they would get back to me in 48 hours to update me on progress. 120 hours later.. no call from them. Calling them tomorrow.. but I have a feeling they will give me the run around.

Anyone have any info on fix date?

0 Likes
ChicagoVZUser

It usually takes up to 10 minutes of trying, but I can get it to connect and stay connected.  VERY ANNOYING.   But the fact that they acknowledged the problem means some sort of fix is probably close.

0 Likes