interenet issues
muttandjeff

I am having problems accessing facebook. No matter if I use my broadband device on my laptop or my PC whenever I click on Facebook it gets stuck "redirecting". I have no problems accessing any other site just facebook. The only way I can access Facebook is to go to a site, like Verizon, and click on thier Facebook page and I'm in. My device is also updated so that is not the problem. Any ideas or suggestions? 

0 Likes
Re: interenet issues
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Seems strange that you can navigate to FB from some sites but not others.  Perhaps something is incorrect with the link you normally try?  Does the link change when you try to navigate to FB?  Can you get to FB from a search engine result screen like Google, Bing or Yahoo?  Try different browsers if you have them available and compare too.

Normally redirections occur because of a proxy, firewall or hotspot service.  Proxy's can be disabled on your machine to allow you direct access to the website.  Firewalls can depend on where the firewall is located.  Hotspots are out of your control.

Although uncommon shenannegans like this can also be virus related.  Something could be hijacking your browser and sending you somewhere else.  If you havent already then I'd suggest updating and running a full scan with your virus scanning software.

Please confirm the device that you are using and the OS of the computer.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

No I don't see any changes when I try to go to FB. Tonight I can't access

it no matter how I try whether thru another page site or another search

engine. It just keeps searching or spinning or redirecting. It doesn't

direct me to anything either just sits there going nowhere saying

"redirecting" or searching and never makes it to FB.

I have a Verizon 4G LTE USB Modem 551L device and both my laptop and PC

have Windows 7. Like I said it's just FB and my scan found no virus's.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

I am having the same issues with my PC also. Cannot access just FB no matter how and  it’s just FB. Just keeps saying “redirecting” and it never goes anywhere. Just sits there in that mode and spins and spins and spins.

This is getting very frustrating.

Kris

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 2:03 PM

To: kris 

Subject: Re: interenet issues - Re: interenet issues

>Personal info deleted<         

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator ><

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

hmmm...

Its strange that you only have problems accessing FB.  The 551L does not have a web inerface so I do not believe there is a way to sign in and make configuration changes like blocked sites or disbaling IPv6. 

The "redirecting" message confirms that your browser is not making it to FB. The question is why is it redirecting in the first place when you type in the URL directly into the web address bar.  Normally DNS is responsible for converting your webaddresses into IP Addresses on the internet.  If your DNS is messed up it might be redirecting you to the wrong place.

I wonder, can you PING facebook.com from a CMD window?  Likewise when you run NSlookup facebook.com what is returned?  If you return an IP address for facebook.com, try entering it into a web browser and see what happens.

You might want to consider switching out your DNS with a different one like openDNS or Google's DNS:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15037-dns-addressing-how-change-windows-7-a.html

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

These are personal machines we are talking about here right?  Hopefully you are not using a corporate VPN or port forwarding service that is tampering with your results.  If so then you need to disable those services and compare.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

not sure how to do what you are asking about Pinging from a CMD Window or

running NSlookup ??? not sure how to switch out DNS's either. Yes these are

both personal computers.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Ping and NSLookup are common troubleshooting tools for Windows.  Both are run from a command window or CMD for short.

To Ping:

1. Navigate to Start > Run > Type "CMD" and hit ENTER

2. In the black Command window type "ping facebook.com" and hit ENTER

3. Record the results of the test

To NSLookup:

1. Navigate to Start > Run > Type "CMD" and hit ENTER

2. In the black Command window type "nslookup facebook.com" and hit ENTER

3. Record the results of the test

See the links that I posted on switching your DNS to a different provider.  Both links should contain the steps and screenshots necessary to walk you through the process.

0 Likes
muttandjeff

when I try to run nslookup it comes up Unknown . non-existant domain

0 Likes
muttandjeff

here are the results from the Ping and the Nslookup attached

not sure what they mean or what to do now to fix the issue...

thanks

>>personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
muttandjeff

before I go and change my DNS server what other problems is that going  create that I am not aware of now?

>>personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes