Message Editing?
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1
How do you edit a posted reply?  I see I left out a "(" in one of my posts that really makes the reply a bit hard to understand.  I haven't been able to find how to edit it so I can add it in.
0 Likes
Re: Message Editing?
CharlotteS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

Within the first hour after you post you can click in the upper right hand corner of the post on Options, then Edit Message. We have editing turned off after 60 minutes.

If you need a post edited for clarity after that time, you can PM a moderator, and we can edit in your correction with a note that you requested it. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Charlotte,

Why only one hour? I think most boards allow 24 hours or so to edit, that way if someone questions a post the original author can go back and fix it without having to go to the trouble to PM yo or someone else. Just doesn't make sense to me. 

0 Likes
CharlotteS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

Generally, if you notice a typo, you can catch it with a quick read-over of the post. If you reaize there is something incorrect in the post after an hour, you can post a reply or PM a moderator and we can edit for you. Don't worry about troubling us; that's the sort of thing we are here for. 

We've just found that an hour works well as a default setting. That said, all communities are different. If we see that this isn't working for the members over time, we can certainly consider lengthening it.

Thanks for the feedback! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Charlotte,

Thanks for the feedback, you are the boss Smiley Happy

I for one vote for more, much more, than 1 hour. I try to make sure my posts on any and all forums I participate in are correct the first time, but it obviously doesn't always happen. I suspect that what I will do here is just not bother to fix an error, or create another post to correct it (possibly leading to unnecessary reader confusion), rather than bothering to create a PM asking for it to be fixed; just "too much trouble" and possible time lag, IMHO.

0 Likes