Do I need an international plan?
ReamesC
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are traveling to the British Virgin Islands and the boat we'll be on has wifi. Will I be able to text and use FaceTime without an international plan?  I don't want to rack up a huge bill!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I need an international plan?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sounds like a wonderful trip and we want to make sure you are covered. We do have a $10.00 plan that you can use daily. If that is not an option we have a $40.00 plan for the month. If you use Wi-Fi and turn off our data network you will not be charged for data. However, any call and/or text will be billed at $1.79 per minute for calls, .50 to send a text, and .05 to receive a text (to/from US, CA, MX, PR mobile numbers). You can add features online via My Verizon. I'm including our International Link for your convenience. http://vz.to/1K2GGZC
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Which iPhone do you have?   It matters if you have 6 or higher as functions will be different. 

0 Likes
ReamesC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the iPhone 6

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sounds like a wonderful trip and we want to make sure you are covered. We do have a $10.00 plan that you can use daily. If that is not an option we have a $40.00 plan for the month. If you use Wi-Fi and turn off our data network you will not be charged for data. However, any call and/or text will be billed at $1.79 per minute for calls, .50 to send a text, and .05 to receive a text (to/from US, CA, MX, PR mobile numbers). You can add features online via My Verizon. I'm including our International Link for your convenience. http://vz.to/1K2GGZC
DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The iPhone 6 gives you more options. Here is what I would do in your situation. Before you go, make sure you update to the latest iOS version (currently iOS 9.3.1). Make sure you have HD Voice on your phone (previously known as Advanced Calling) by going to Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data options and making sure that says Voice & Data.

Now go to Settings / Phone / Wi-Fi Calling and turn that on. You will need to add your home address for 911 purposes. You are now set for your cruise.

When on the ship, put your phone in airplane mode and then only turn on wifi. Now sign up for the ship's wifi service. Since you have wifi calling turned on, after a few moments you should see VZW Wi-Fi show up in the upper left corner where Verizon usually is. Now you can use your phone just like you are back home. Phone calls, text messages, iMessages, and Facetime will all go over wifi with no additional charges. Calls back home are no additional charge as are receiving charges -- just make sure you keep the set up the same and see VZW Wi-Fi in the upper left. The ability to do this is quite new and is only available on iPhone 6 and above.

0 Likes