Dura XV world phone
johnnyc11

Hello.

I purchased a Verizon Dura XV 3G world phone from a private retailer (not Verizon). Verizon released this flip phone in 2015 I believe, and they definitely still sell it. The phone does not support 4G but does support 2G and 3G, and also supports CDMA and GSM networks when it has the verizon sim card installed. I purchased this phone because of the fact it is a world phone and I need it to work when traveling abroad.

When I went to a Verizon store to activate the phone, we found it did not have a preinstalled SIM card. The Verizon representative informed me the phone normally comes with a preinstalled sim card, and they no longer carry the old 3G sim cards in the store. The rep activated the phone without a sim card, and recommended I call customer service to request a 3G sim be mailed to me. Later i called Customer service, whom informed me that they no longer carry 3G sim cards, and recommended I try activating the phone with a verizon 4G sim card instead. I went to the store and requested a 4G micro sim card, model BULKSIM3FF-A. The sim card fit into the phone correctly. When I powered up the phone, the phone displayed an error message that said "Please unlock simcard to use global mode", and also "SIM locked". I was able to bypass these messages and I went into the phone settings. Under Phone Info menu, and in the SIM ID section, phone did recognize the ICCID of the sim card correctly. I hadnt actually activated the sim card at this point, so the error message may mean nothing. I then called customer service to activate the sim card, but the representative informed me that system said that the particular sim card I had was not compatible with the device. They asked me to return to the store for further assistance.

Can any one please help me? This run around is ridiculous. No one seems to know how these DuraXV phones will work internationally, even though they are still being sold in the store as a world phone.

As a side note, I was able to find brand new verizon 3G mini/full size sim cards on ebay. however, I was not able to find a new "micro" 3g sim cards, which is the proper size for this phone. The micro sim cards I found were all used. I have a sim card cutter, but i would really prefer not to have to cut the sim card.

0 Likes
Re: Dura XV world phone
pherson
Champion - Level 1

That's because to an extent there is no existence of a 3G SIM card. With 3G Verizon operates on the CDMA network wholly. This is also why a 4g let SIM will not activate. The network bands are different. The phone would have to be activated normally on your line with out a SIM card first then get a global sim from the international team.

0 Likes
johnnyc11

Yes, that is what I meant, "global SIM". I have spoken to the international team on two occasions and they have informed me they do not have international SIMs for 3G phones in stock any more. They have told me I need to upgrade my phone. I asked them both times what would happen if I buy the Dura XV from them, what would happen if I need a new "global" sim card from them for any number of reasons, and they no longer carry them.

I did go ahead and buy a few of the old "global SIMs" from ebay. I had to cut the mini sim down to a micro sim myself. The phone did recognize the SIM card correctly. The SIMs have both Verizon's logo on them and Vodafone, who im assuming is Verizon's roaming partner. I called to get the card activated and gave the ICCID, and was told the system would not take it. They have no idea why the system was giving an error message.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if you asked if they still have the global SIM cards for the iPhone 4s? That phone was capable being used internationally with the Verizon Wireless/Vodafone SIM card. To use another carrier's SIM card, you needed to get the phone SIM unlocked for international travel.

Honestly I still a little bit surprised the Dura phone didn't come with a SIM card pre-installed like the iPhone 4s would have been.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes