Suspend service
STAGRA1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Before being transferred overseas for my job (I'm a civilian working for the military) I spoke to Verizon and was assured that I would be able to suspend my service for my 3 year tour.  After moving in July I just finally got around to submitting my orders only to be told by Verizon that I don't meet the requirements (I'm not active duty).  As a loyal customer of Verizon the only thing they are able to do is to suspend my service for 6 months.  After that is over I will be required to pay the full amount of my bill for the remaining length of my 3 year tour.  Seriously Verizon?  This is how you treat customers who are supporting the US military overseas? 

0 Likes
Re: Suspend service
rcschnoor
Legend

STAGRA1 wrote:

As a loyal customer of Verizon the only thing they are able to do is to suspend my service for 6 months. After that is over I will be required to pay the full amount of my bill for the remaining length of my 3 year tour. 

You always have the option to cancel your service until you return. Of course, you will lose your phone # and would have to start a new one when you return.

If you want to keep your current phone number and have someone you trust with an active cell phone account with any provider or a landline, you could port your cell number to Google Voice. I believe there is a one time $20 port charge with Google. To have a Google Voice Number, you need to have it attached to an active cell phone line. Simply attach it to the number of the person whom you trust with the active cell phone line.

You can use then use this as voicemail for anyone who calls your number and would be able to retrieve those messages even from overseas.

Good luck.

0 Likes