Traveling to Mexico
aliciampritchard

I'm taking a one week Mexican Riviera cruise and need to be able to send and receive calls while I'm away. What are my options, and how do I initiate any required changes to my service plan?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Traveling to Mexico
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aliciampritchard,

Let's make sure you're ready to rock and roll on your vacation! There are a few options that will be available for programs, and some may be dependent upon your device. We'll definitely want to start you out with the trip planner: http://vz.to/1PX1HEL I recommend signing into your My Verizon when you use it, as it will give you account and device specific answers and even let you add options at the end. You can enter any country or cruise ship name using the tool.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aliciampritchard,

Let's make sure you're ready to rock and roll on your vacation! There are a few options that will be available for programs, and some may be dependent upon your device. We'll definitely want to start you out with the trip planner: http://vz.to/1PX1HEL I recommend signing into your My Verizon when you use it, as it will give you account and device specific answers and even let you add options at the end. You can enter any country or cruise ship name using the tool.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You do not say what phone you have and what plan you are on or what cruise line you are on, and that is definitely important to understand what your options are.

If you only what coverage while on land, but not while on the ship:

1) Buy a block of 100 minutes/100 sent text/100 MB data for $15 for a 30 day period. Make sure you add this to the first day of your billing period. There is also an option to increase to 500 minutes/500texts/ 1 GB for $25. In both cases received messages are unlimited

2) Add the TravelPass to your account. This will be $2/day while in Mexico, only on the days you use the phone in any manner. This will not help on the ship and if you use it while on the ship it will be very expensive.

3) Wi-Fi calling - if you have a newer phone that supports wifi calling this is the most inexpensive option. As long as you have a wifi signal (turn off the cellular radio by putting the phone in airplane mode and then only turning on wifi), you can use your phone as if you were back home with no roaming charges when calling home or receiving any calls. You can also text for no charge. Calls to Mexico would be like a long distance call from your home. This is only available on a few phones, so it may not even be an option for you.

If you want access on the ship and your cruise line company is listed below, you can get 100 minutes, 100 sent texts, and 100 MB for $40 for a 30 day period (even if you are cruising 1 week, make sure you have it active for the entire month). It is not known if ship wifi would allow wifi calling, but that would be another option on the ship if it is allowed by the ship;s firewall.

0 Likes