What are the advantages of using a European SIM card when traveling?
MARSGUY

What are the advantages of getting a SIMM card in Europe vs. electing the Verizon international plan for a month? Drawbacks either way?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIMM card for international travel
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Marsguy, we'd be happy to fill in these extra details to ensure that your trip goes smoothly. When in Italy, to dial back to the U.S, you would Dial Plus Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number. Should you wish to call a local number Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable). To use your phone you will want to ensure that your Cellular Service is on. When Wi-Fi is available you may help control that data usage by connecting to Wi-Fi. As you have an iPhone, you will want to ensure that you follow these steps when arriving in a new country: Go to Settings > Cellular (Cellular Data must be On) > Cellular Data Options > Roaming◦Switch Voice Roaming On (green) and Data Roaming On (green). Turn International CDMA Off (white). Power the device off and then back on after any changes OR when entering a country. To avoid extra data charges, you may certainly choose to go to the Settings, Cellular and turn off just the Cellular Data option. I am glad to say that using the maps while you are out and about would not use a great deal of data. We know that going to a new place can come with the experience of getting lost and would love to save you that panic.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Marsguy, it sounds like you plan to do some exciting traveling. Getting ready for that trip is exactly what we are here for. While carriers that are local to the specific area that you will be headed may offer a SIM card for temporary use of their network, and in some cases, may offer lower rates, you would find that your mobile number may change while on that network and then return to your regular number when back to our card and network. To make things nice and easy for you, we do offer global plans for more than 200 countries. Simply visit http://spr.ly/65868bIiC for specifics on the countries that you will be visiting. Please let us know if you have any questions.

LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MARSGUY

Thanks. My questions then become how I use my phone if I'm on the International plan. To call a local number in Italy I dial country code and local number?

Do I turn cellular service "off" on my iPhone settings? When I have access to free wifi (hotels) does the phone default to using wifi for data and web browsing?

Are there any settings I need to change so I don't have high charges while I'm there? I know the $40 pee month plan covers phone and data up to a limit. Can I use google maps for instance for directions or will I blow through my data allowance?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
MARSGUY

$40 per month I meant

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Marsguy, we'd be happy to fill in these extra details to ensure that your trip goes smoothly. When in Italy, to dial back to the U.S, you would Dial Plus Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number. Should you wish to call a local number Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable). To use your phone you will want to ensure that your Cellular Service is on. When Wi-Fi is available you may help control that data usage by connecting to Wi-Fi. As you have an iPhone, you will want to ensure that you follow these steps when arriving in a new country: Go to Settings > Cellular (Cellular Data must be On) > Cellular Data Options > Roaming◦Switch Voice Roaming On (green) and Data Roaming On (green). Turn International CDMA Off (white). Power the device off and then back on after any changes OR when entering a country. To avoid extra data charges, you may certainly choose to go to the Settings, Cellular and turn off just the Cellular Data option. I am glad to say that using the maps while you are out and about would not use a great deal of data. We know that going to a new place can come with the experience of getting lost and would love to save you that panic.

LorenB_VZW

0 Likes