charges
mg99

If I use my Iphone as a camera only while travelling in Europe....without a travel plan, will I be charged for any random  INCOMING texts or calls or data charges

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: charges
Weth
Legend

You need to turn off data on the phone.  Turn off iMessages or you won’t get them. 

Incoming texts are 5 cents each.  

Got to watch incoming calls transferred to voice mail.  

Generally dangerous to travel with no plan and leaving phone on full connections. Surprise bills always possible. 

Advise airplane mode the whole time, Connect only to Wi-Fi.  Set up Wi-Fi calling before leaving home.   

0 Likes
mg99

Thanks for your reply.

I understand we can call home (US) using WIFI for no charge other than minutes used from our plan.... when WIFI is available.  Does that apply to text messages as well?  

I considered using Travel Pass but am concerned that unsolicited texts or calls received can trigger the $10 charge on a day when I wasn't planning to use my phone for communication.  Can you clarify?

What is the most economical way to go if we're travelling for 21 days thru England, France, Germany and Italy.  Will have a need to check on family in the US a couple of times and possibly call between countries occasionally.  May like to have use of Navigation tools at times.

I'm assuming we'll have WIFI in our hotels to check email or WIFI text messages in the evenings.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Traveling through Europe sounds like an amazing trip, mg99. I'd like to go myself one day. I definitely want to make sure you can capture those memories on your phone, without the worry of paying more than you anticipate.
TravelPass is a great option for $10/day. You definitely have some valid concerns regarding charges for incoming calls and text messages. The great news is that incoming calls would only trigger a session if you answered them. Incoming text messages also do not start a session (with the exception of a picture or group message as these messages would use data).
You can learn more about TravelPass here (see #2 specifically): https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/travelpass-faqs/

To answer your question about a text message over Wi-Fi, only iMessage will work. This means that you can send messages to other iPhone users. A standard text message would not work without a network connection.

You can view all of our international travel options with our interactive Trip Planner here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/

So that I can better understand your needs I did have a few questions. What services aside from text messaging will you need for your trip? Will you be calling back to the U.S. in addition to local numbers?

JosephE_VZW

0 Likes