Droid 2 text and email issues
rainman68

My droid 2 decided not to let me type more than one word today.... this includes email and text.... can someone please help....

0 Likes
Re: Droid 2 text and email issues
Not applicable

Rainman68 that is very strange that your phone would not let you type one word. Has this ever happened to your phone before? Were you having any other issues with the device? Are you using a third party keyboard app or the stock app on the phone? When your phone wouldn't let you type did you pull the battery from the phone and retry to type? Have you tried to perform a master reset on the device? If not here are the steps to do so:

• From the main screen, touch menu tab 
  • Touch Settings 
  • Touch Privacy 
  • Touch Factory Data reset 
  • User has the option of Erasing SD Card - if desired check "Erase SD Card" 
  • Touch Reset Phone  
  • Touch Erase Everything

Please answer these questions and take the measures provided and I am certain your issue will be resolved. Thanks.

SammuelP_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cindib
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Droid 2 just started doing this also around the same date.  Everytime I tried to type in a text or email if I hit the space bar on the keypad or on screen keyboard it wouldn't let me type any further or send - I found a way to text by putting a period between each word instead of a space so it was readable. 

Doing further research on my problem. I found another post where you said to do this:

To address your keyboard/touch screen issues I recommend going into Settings> Applications > All > Multi-Touch Keyboard and hitting Clear data.

That seems to have fixed my problem without having to do a master reset.  Thanks!

thejohnsonzoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

The locking up while typing text or emails and throwing you out to the internet or wherever is from the software update in Sept 2011. I have had this issue on 3 phones since then (they would send me new phones because they thought it was a phone problem) - IT IS NOT THE PHONE!  They replace it and it happens in another 4-6 weeks.  "Clearing the Cache" / clear data works for awhile then you have to clear it again or do another "fix".  (This is not a $9.99 phone - I should not have to clear anything but maybe my emails every 4-6 weeks!)

I honestly cannot believe if Verizon has been having this problem since Sept that they are still giving answers like the one from SammuelP !  They did a factory reset on my 2nd droid 2 and all it did was cause me work to reinstall eveything.  The problems came back 6 wks later.  They have records of all the times I have called and the fixes they have tried - doesn't anyone look into this stuff?!

Cindib - I was able to text if I didn't leave a space between my words - IJustCapitalizedTheFirstLetterOfEachWord - but if I accidentally hit the space bar I was screwed - it would lock up! This has happened so many times since Sept that my family and friends know when my phone is messing up again by my texts - time to call Verizon!!!

My recommendation - keep a record of all your calls with Verizon - dates, times, length of phone call, who you talked to, etc.  Do NOT leave them alone till your phone is working correctly...do not settle.  I used to LOVE my phone - now I just hate Motorola!  Verizon should be pushing Motorola to fix this!!!  Motorola was NO help after over an hour and a half on the phone (with numerous people from the Philippines & FLA).  They said they had no issues with the Droid 2!  Huh?  Do they read the internet or communicate with Verizon?!?!  Good luck!

LisaLisa_

Lord, I cannot believe it!  I just tried cindib's advice and it worked!  I have already had to have this dumb phone replaced once and have been having the same space-bar problem yet again.  Was about to waste my afternoon at Verizon, getting yet another phone, taking forever, wiping out data, etc.  Bless you!

0 Likes
thejohnsonzoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

This only works for 4-6 weeks, depending on how many texts (& emails you type?)...read my first reply below.  The Verizon guy I talked to last Thurs eve acted like he knew what was wrong with the Droid2 - he said you go into the same area under settings and clear a bunch of stuff and it works (not sure what he wanted cleared but maybe you can get someone else on the phone who knows?).  The clear data and/or cache is not a long-term fix.  Verizon just sent me a Droid 3 (no charge) to replace my old phone since I have been calling them with this problem since Sept - I kept records of my calls and expressed my dissatisfaction of the time I have had to spend on this issue the last 5 months due to the fact that they messed up my perfectly good phone.  Good luck...

0 Likes
bjg3

I just started having this problem with text messaging on Saturday.  I get 1 or two words typed or partially typed, and then it doesn't allow me to type anythig more; it either takes itself back to my text messages log, or to the internet.  So far it hasn't affected my e-mail, but it does affect my texting, and I can't answer anybody back.

Help!

0 Likes
bjg3

I also just tried cindib's advice and it worked!  Thanks!

0 Likes
LisaLisa_

Great!

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Wheezer1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had issues for the last few days, where I would type periods or explation points and it would freeze I only had a choice to power down or take the battery out completely.  I did just NOW do Settings> Applications > All > Multi-Touch Keyboard and hitting Clear data, and it is working correctly once again!!! HOWEVER ITS ONLY for awhile, about a month ago I had issues with texting and emailing and it was a long delay between letters it was driving me nuts, I walked into a Verizon and the gentleman knew exactly what was wrong and did what I stated above, that fix was a month ago.  I have a feeling this clearing crap will be happening every month.  It seems odd that we have to do this, not sure if the I phone has the same issues...  Come on VERIZON LETS GET THIS FIXED!!!!

0 Likes