Re: Droid Bionic ICS update????
crweaks23

This is at your own risk.... but I got this to install after waiting an entire day with the "triangle" and sitting at 0%.

After reading an earlier comment suggesting clearing the data on the Updater App, nothing happened, even after a reboot.  It was only after I went back and force-closed the Updater app, then rebooted my phone, that the download eventually restarted and finished in a matter of minutes (15-20?).

To copy my process exactly:

1. Navigate to Setting -> Applications -> Manage Apps -> filter by All applications
  2. Find the "Updater" application, and clearing the data
  3. Reboot the phone by pulling the battery (this step may not be necessary, but it's what I did). Let the phone reboot completely.
  4. Navigate back to Manage Applications, and force close the updater application (it still should show 0mb of data).
  5. Again reboot the phone (I pulled the battery again).
  6. Wait about 5-10 minutes, and you should see the updater start over again, and a few minutes after that the download should work. 

I'm Installing now, so I can't yet comment on success of installation, but after reading forum after forum of issues, I felt like posting my solution, hopefully it's not just a coincidence and it helps someone else out.

0 Likes
farblue

I'm apparently not as persistent as you; I've only tried 7 times, all failures, with the same symptoms you're describing - downloads fine, phone reboots, install gets to about 25%, I get the exclamation mark, then phone reboots and I get the update failed message.

I saw on another forum (can't recall which, I've been looking all over the Internet for a solution) that mentions log files that get dumped somewhere if you get a failed installation, but I can't find information on exactly what they are and where they might be located. Still looking...

0 Likes
ljr11
Enthusiast - Level 2

farblue,

I actually went into a Verizon store today to see what the problem was. Apparently the update that I downloaded (and you, apparently) is corrupt and it can't be properly installed. He said there are 2 possible solutions: 1) wait for the next update (HA!) 2) replace the device.

I think I've come up with my own solution. Get rid of Motorola devices and/or switch carriers. I'm fed up with this. Hope you have luck finding a solution though!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

ljr11 wrote:

Apparently the update that I downloaded (and you, apparently) is corrupt and it can't be properly installed. He said there are 2 possible solutions: 1) wait for the next update (HA!) 2) replace the device. 

That bites, doesn't it?  Smiley Sad   Sorry to hear that.  I'd read in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one?) that one other person also had to replace their device after the update ... not good.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

farblue wrote:

I'm apparently not as persistent as you; I've only tried 7 times, all failures, with the same symptoms you're describing - downloads fine, phone reboots, install gets to about 25%, I get the exclamation mark, then phone reboots and I get the update failed message.

I saw on another forum (can't recall which, I've been looking all over the Internet for a solution) that mentions log files that get dumped somewhere if you get a failed installation, but I can't find information on exactly what they are and where they might be located. Still looking...

farblue -

I was in a similar situation -- downloaded but couldn't install multiple times, and I found a remedy; now happily enjoying ICS.

See discussions on the Motorola Bionic Forum for some explanations...(HINT: a Factory Data Reset may not help!).  They won't let me post the remedy on this forum, but search for my recent posts on the Motorola forum and/or send me a PM from that forum.

0 Likes
viro

<Post deleted per the . Discussion of rooting or hacking of any device is not permitted on this forum.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
farblue

Done - and eagerly hoping for a fix!

BTW - tried clearing the cache, battery pull, stopping and clearing data on the Updater app last night, all to no avail.  The update still stops at about 25% with the same "exclamation point" graphic, then a reboot into GB with the "update failed" message.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

farblue wrote:

Done - and eagerly hoping for a fix!

BTW - tried clearing the cache, battery pull, stopping and clearing data on the Updater app last night, all to no avail.  The update still stops at about 25% with the same "exclamation point" graphic, then a reboot into GB with the "update failed" message.

And I replied to your PM a few minutes ago.

Anyone else stuck in a similar way with a failed update (perhaps as a consequence of impulsive actions in your misspent youth) -- and want help?  Wander over to the Moto Bionic Forum and send me a PM. "highdesert".

0 Likes
ljr11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I am gonna upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus. Only $49 right now online. Hello, Jelly Bean! Done with Motorola everything.

0 Likes
abeleko

ICS update is absolute garbage, my battery life is about 1/4 what I used to get, smart actions is useless it isn't even close to what the previous system had available and now its missing the crucial system "task manager", what can I do to increase battery life? I've done a system cache and I use the "easy batter saver" app which dramatically helps but to not much avail

0 Likes