OTA Update 4.08.605.2 "Rebooting Now..." Issue - SOLVED!
AmDroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

After so many tries and frustration I finally came across the information below and it worked like a charm :smileyhappy:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/134246-second-gb-update-patch-wont-reboot-...

Can't say this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"

You can now wait for the update to show up again, or try one of the methods in the post: For those who want the second GB update/patch to get the update again. It should reboot this time. Beware, it will stay at the Droid Eye screen after reboot for a while (~5 mins), but eventually, it did get installed. Be sure to make a lot of space for it though... 

Re: OTA Update 4.08.605.2 "Rebooting Now..." Issue - SOLVED!
spencermiller27

Droid Incredible doesn't have a restart option

0 Likes
mjhoyme

That trick seems like it only works if you were lucky enough to get the 4.06 update to work.  Are the rest of us S.O.L. since there is no restart option?

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

The restart option that AmDroid is talking about is not on the regular phone menu. Please read his post carefully. What he is talking about is in an advanced recovery based menu option.

Also, I was on 2.2 and the clear cache set date and time forward trick did not work for me to get the udpate. The clear cache and set date and time forward trick seems to mostly work if you are already on 4.06 software version and want to get the 4.08 software version.

For those on 2.2, patience is warranted! However, if you really cant wait and want to go the 4.06 update manually, you can search Android Forums dot com for manually install gingerbread. And don't worry about the article talking about being rooted. You dont need to be rooted. The instructions will work for a stock phone too. As soon as you do the manual 4.06, the 4.08 update will show up immediately.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
mjhoyme

Are you basically saying that they will come out with a new update that doesn't require jumping through 14 hoops and using a tool (selecting restart and HBOOT) that isn't available to us?  After 12 tries to get this update to work I'm getting a little fed up.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

You dont need to select Restart. You can simply shutdown your phone and get into HBOOT  by pressing volume down and power at the same time. Once there you can select recovery by using the volume rocker and pressing power button to select. After that when you see the red triangle screen press the volume up button and then power button. You will then see the menu where cache partition can be formatted.

Anyway, if you don't want to do anything crazy, just wait. You will get the software update eventually.

What is your current software version? If you are still on 2.2 then the clear cache partition and other steps probably wont work. PM me if you are interested in doing the manual steps.

0 Likes
Certifried

I can't get my date/time to stay at 2012. It almost immediately goes back to 2011. Yes, I am unchecking the Automatic (use network values) button. I put the phone in to Airplane mode, and the date stayed, but of course the network is off at that point. As soon as I turn off Airplane mode, the date changes back. What, other than the automatic time, could be causing the time to sync back to 2011?

Actually: Just solved. You also have to turn off Background Data sync

Settings -> Accounts & sync -> uncheck Background data

0 Likes
camdroid
Thank you!!! Woohoo I've been trying for so long to get this done and it finally worked. I was in shock when I saw the downloading screen.
0 Likes
evel

Thanks!!!!  Worked Great!

0 Likes
MichaelJCT

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I followed your post step by step. Through the recovery and reboot and date change and deleted just enough apps to make it work. It is like I have a brand new phone!!! OK - I'm off to replace the three apps that I had to delete. I also did remove all of my pics before doing this as I read that some people lost some of that data. Thanks again!!!

0 Likes