Samsung Droid Charge (SCH 1510) won't load Phone Drivers on to my laptop for tethering
kodiak269

I just purchased the Droid Charge (SCH 1510) and have tried to use the tethering option via the provided USB Cable, but my laptop keeps coming up with an error code 23  no drivers detected for this device and Please make sure your phone is connected to the computer (IT IS). I can only connect using the Media or Mass storage option(s) through the USB. I had no problem tethering with my previous carrier and phone. Really getting frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any solutions to this problem.

Android OS: 2,3

Laptop OS: 64 Bit,  Windows 7 Premium,

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH 1510) won't load Phone Drivers on to my laptop for tethering
flyndutch

I am having the same problem i need drivers to fix and can not find them i guess i will have to call them i also have windows 7 pro 32bit

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH 1510) won't load Phone Drivers on to my laptop for tethering
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello kodiak269,

I just reviewed the manual on this device to confirm that the Droid Charge is capable of this service. May I ask have you turned USB tethering on in the device. You can check by following the step below.

1.From the home screen press the Menu Button > Settings > Wireless & Network > Tethering.

2.Afterwards, connect the pc to the phone via USB cable.

3.On the device, USB tethering to turn this function on. To verify it's on, there will be a check in the box on the phone. 

Keep in mind that this service is free until 6/15/11. I've seen in some cases that the firewall block this connection. This is also something I recommend that you look into. Please reply with your findings so we can further assist.

Hope this helps...

0 Likes
russgameroom

Just to confirm.... 

Is it possible to USB tether this phone and then use it as a broadband connection via the USB?

I was in a verizon store 2 days ago, and the sales person said the phone's broadband can ONLY be used via its wifi hotspot capability.

I currently use my Samsung alias 2 via USB tethering to surf with my laptop.  This works great because it charges the phone as I tether, AND I do not need to have any WIFI enabled.  - Some locations that I work in do not allow any WIFI in the building.

If  these Droid 4G phones ONLY permit WIFI tethering... then that is a step backwards  for me..

- I now have also carry a charger with me when I travel (vs a small USB cable)

- Some of my work locations will not allo the WIFI at all (= no broadband for my laptop)

thanks,

Russ

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello russgameroom,

I do understand the importance of being able to use a broadband connection due to the change in your work environments.  I did review the features of the Charge and yes, this device has the capability to use a mobile broadband connection and or mobile hotspot.  You do of course have to have the mobile broadband connect paid feature on your account and from the device navigate to Home>Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Tethering & Portable Hotspot>Check USB Tethering.  The computer aspect of it will be similar to what you currently do for the Alias 2.  If you have any additional questions please feel free to reach out.  Thank you.  

0 Likes
Dekay

I am having the same problem.  I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) Premium.  I cannot find a driver for the phone for the life of me, although the mobile hotspot does work.  Funny as it may be, the "media player" and "mass storage" modes BOTH WORK just fine.  I have synced nearly 1400 songs to my phone and my computer installed the driver for the Mass Storage USB Connection.

I don't get it?????

0 Likes
Dekay

Incidentally, I also installed VZAccess Manager as per instructions from the Store Manager at a retailer (not a corporate store) where I bought my Charge.  

This doesn't work either.  The app doesn't even recognize my phone being connected to my computer.  It must be an issue with the phone software.

I had an HTC Droid-Eris (one of the first "droid" phones) before my charge with root access and tethering capabilities.  The USB tethering worked fine on that so it obviously isn't my computer.

Apparently others are having this issue as well so I also doubt that it is their computers.  

I am suprised to see that Samsung came out with a hotspot fix so quickly in EE4.  I wonder how long it will take them to fix this one???

0 Likes
rmsilva

I still can't load the drivers using your suggestion. Windows update can not find the drivers. How come the support site can't just have the drivers available for download instead of all this searching. Its such a waste of time and very frustrating

0 Likes
ghasul
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I attached the USB cable, the phone created 2 drives.  ONE was the SD card and the other had the drivers on it - I got a message (windows 7) and installed the drivers.  Watch the my computer window and you'll see them, but be quick.  I found that the drivers only stay mounted for about a minute.  I just copied mine to the hard drive.

0 Likes
johnemac

kodiak269 wrote:

I just purchased the Droid Charge (SCH 1510) and have tried to use the tethering option via the provided USB Cable, but my laptop keeps coming up with an error code 23  no drivers detected for this device and Please make sure your phone is connected to the computer (IT IS). I can only connect using the Media or Mass storage option(s) through the USB. I had no problem tethering with my previous carrier and phone. Really getting frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any solutions to this problem.

Android OS: 2,3

Laptop OS: 64 Bit,  Windows 7 Premium,

Hi, This is an easy fix, I got this from a Samsung Tech...

1. Goto Menu

2. Goto Settings

3. Goto Usb Settings

4. Goto Mass Storge

5. Plug in USB Cable to phone and Computer

6. A box will open, choose to open and view files

7. Click on folder that says USB Drivers, and follow install instructions.

8. Now go back to USB Settings and choose Ask on connection!!!!

0 Likes