The ICS update deleted my work emails!!!! Seriously Verizon?!?
mkrising

After I got the ICS this morning my email folders were completely empty, every single one.

Other than Messaging, please tell me there is some hidden folder where the stock email app may have stored my messages. I've been through every visible folder and there is nothing there. Or, tell me if there's a way to back out of the update - data and everything.

Here's the story: Because my company uses POP3 email, my phone was set to 'Never Delete email from server.' That way I could still get all of my emails in Outlook on my computer -- where they actually matter. As of last night, I know I had several emails in my phone's Inbox and Sent folders, and one in the Draft folder. Like I said, this morning they are all gone...but there's more. For some reason the geniuses altered some of incoming/outgoing POP3 email settings to default. e.g., The outgoing SMTP port was changed to 25 (our partner ISP blocks it so I can't use it); and, 'Never Delete email from server' was changed to 'Delete email from server when I delete from my Inbox. (For the life of me I can't figure out why those two settings changed but my server, username, and password were all left intact?!) Consequently, the deletion of emails from my phone has caused them to also be deleted them from the POP3 mail server. Does that mean that all of the that emails I synced to my phone over the last five days (that have NOT been synced to my computer, btw, because I am on vacation) are gone FOREVER?!?

I am now well beyond frustrated. This is the second time in as many days that Verizon has $@%& something critical - first, it was my FIOS service and condescending customer service. Now this.   Between residential and wireless I pay Verizon a ridiculous amount of money each month, more than my combined power & gas utility bills. I'm thinking that the cancellation fees are PENNIES in comparison to the satisfaction I'd feel about not giving Verizon any more of my money.

0 Likes
Re: The ICS update deleted my work emails!!!! Seriously Verizon?!?
B33
Legend

There's a Email recovery App that should be able to get them back) since doing the Update Have a Look in the Playstore

0 Likes
sharonk13509

On the other side of this, since updating, I cannot get my emails to go away!! I have it set to delete from server when I delete from the handset yet every time my mails box refreshes it reloads junk emails I've deleted 10 times already!! This update is HORRIBLE

0 Likes
klondike22

<Duplicate post deleted for crossposting per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
klondike22

Still having problems with my earthlink account (see above) but have figured out one minor work-around. Can't do anything about the lost SENT messages, but I have found that entering (by hand) email adresses into the Phone Contact list gets the DISPLAY SUGGESTED ADDRESSES feature to work when I address an email.

Since I never had a need to have the email addresses in my phone contacts before, this seems to mean that I still have to enter 200 addresses by hand in phone book in order to get them useful in the email program.

I also tried a soft reset, as suggested in another discussion:did not help. I also tried completely removing my earthlink account from the Bionic and then adding it again. Did not help.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
sharonk13509

<Post deleted for discussion of moderation per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
klondike22

My apologies to the moderator for cross-posting. I had written a very long post to another discussion that included similar problems, and in my haste and search for answers thought it expedient to simply copy the post over in hopes of getting a wider range of opinion. No, I never read the Terms of Service and to be honest this is the first discussion board I have ever posted to. That's what happens when you'e 65 years old. I did, however, write right up front that this was a copy of a post I had placed elsewhere.

When I saw the first message from the moderator that my post was up for review, I was impressed -- I thought someone was listening, had noted I defined some problems and was searching for answers. Perhaps I misunderstood the nature of a moderator.

So I am still looking for answers.

Let me re-state (not copy) the nature of my problems, so that my remaining post (above) is not left hanging in mid-air confusion. The Bionic update deleted a bunch of my emails, specifically all the SENTS from my Earthlink (POP) account; and the DISPLAY SUGGESTED ADDRESSES feature was not working, apparently (though I'm not sure) because it had also deleted all the addresses/contacts. I am still facing having to re-enter over 200 email addresses by hand. Surely there is a simpler solution out there? Switching to gmail is not an option, though I did start an account in order to get the Bionic up and running; however I never use it for emails.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome new poster!  Just a bit of background, this is a customer-to-customer forum, so Verizon reps rarely pop in and when they do, it's usually a week or so after something's been posted so that customers like ourselves can have time to help each other out.  Their rank denotes that they are a Verizon rep.

This is a self-policing forum, so the Mods respond to things that violate the Terms of Service, like cross-posting, name calling, curse words, etc.  They also help with branching off old discussions and other things that keep the forum running.  So with this forum, if the Mods are reviewing a post, it's probably not a good thing.

As for your Bionic ... welcome to the exciting and sometimes frustrating world of ICS !     No, you don't have to use gmail for your mail, but for the 'display suggested names' feature to work, your contacts (the new People) need to be on your phone.  Were they not on your phone before the update?  There should be a way to bring them over other than retyping them.  I'll find your other post and read the details there (and respond there as well).

klondike22

Thank you for your gracious (and tactful) welcome. I'm learning.

I got the Bionic in June, added my earthlink account easily, and all the Email adresses were just there, just as they were on my earthlink webmail account. Never had a problem, never thought about it. I believe, though I'm not 100% positive, that I was even able to bring up the entire list on the Bionic when several people changed their addresses and I wanted to delete the old ones.

As I mention above (OCt. 28), I have found that if I now enter an email address into my PEOPLE  directory for phone calls, that the DISPLAY will work for emailing also. Unfortunately, I never had the need to do that before with a phone -- Bionic is my first smart phone. Ergo the 200 addresses I face entering.

again, thank you, tikibar1

0 Likes
sharonk13509

I don't think its our misunderstanding of moderator. I thunk it's

Verizon's. They also apparently have a very poor grasp on the concept of

customer service. So disappointing.

On Oct 29, 2012 11:11 AM, "klondike22" <community@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes