Land Line Phone - incoming call drops after 1-3 rings.
pattymac1

For the past few weeks, my land line phone will ring 1 - 3 rings, then stop. If I pick up, the phone cuts out.  It's like the incoming calls are not connecting.  It doesn't happen with every call, but with several calls a day.  I have a similar problem with my DSL.  It seems to drop intermittently.  I tried running the online diagnostics, but can't get past the 'network diagnostic' test.  It just hangs.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Land Line Phone - incoming call drops after 1-3 rings.
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the problems with the DSL and phone. Was there any new phone plugged into the home somewhere? If that new phone doesn't have a DSL line filter on it, then it would cause problems such as this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could be possible that you have a short somewhere in the line. A short could cause Verizon's gear to think your phone was off the hook, and even if it hadn't done something such as dial a number, if the short imitates a "Flash" or "Switch to another line" when it clears, the phone will ring back as if a call were connected.

Then again, this happens with my DSL-enabled copper line, but I do not see issues with my DSL. Sometimes it is just due to someone's phone somewhere acting up, dialing my number, and sometimes it's one of the older phones in the house not cleanly disconnecting the call if they don't put the handset on properly.

0 Likes
cmargolin
Enthusiast - Level 3

One cause of a short is corrosion on a phone plug or jack, so check each plug and clean off any green stuff or replace the cord.

0 Likes
Poconos1

Wedon't have a DSL connection

0 Likes
Poconos1

We will try to clean the phone Jack

0 Likes