Multiple phone lines with FIOS
rasen

We currently have 3 residential phone lines and I'm thinking of changing from COMCAST to Verizon FIOS. COMCAST can only convert two lines. Can Verizon FIOS support 3 phone lines? I get conflicting answers from customer support, in fact, each time a contact them I get a different answer!! If FIOS can support multiple phone lines what do I need to tell the installer?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Re: Multiple phone lines with FIOS
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
It depends on what manufacturer they use for ONTs in your area. Depending on the manufacturer there are different models available that have varying amounts of phone lines available. The smallest amount any ONT holds is 2 dial tones.
0 Likes
rasen
Sorry, what's an ONT?? Also, does that mean I need to try and get the "sales" person to understand my needs since each one I talk to gives me different answers. By the way I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland area.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
An ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is the brain of the FiOS system. Tellabs, Motorola and Alcatel all manufacture ONTs.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Telcoguru wrote:
An ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is the brain of the FiOS system. Tellabs, Motorola and Alcatel all manufacture ONTs.

Telcoguru is correct, the motorola Ont for instance can supply 4 dialtones.  If you can imagine, the fiber comes to your home and hooks up to the Ont, the light is then converted in the Ont and distributes the telephone, internet and video to your home.

0 Likes