No Dial Tone at NID but DSL is working
Calsonic

I just moved into a new house at the beginning of this year.  I signed up for Verizon DSL service at the beginning of the year which is working fine.  I did not sign up for any landline service at the time.  I was given a data line phone number with the Verizon DSL dryloop service.   I signed up for Landline phone service a little over a month ago.  I was told by the Verizon rep on the phone that my landline phone number will be the same as my DSL data line phone number.  I check my Verizon account online and it's showing my landline phone number the same as my DSL data line phone number.  I'm not getting any dial tone at any of the wall phone jacks in the house.  I try to dial my landline number from my cell phone and I just get a busy signal.

No Dial tone, getting busy signal when dialing home phone from a cell phone

I tried different phones with different DSL filter adapters, same issue, no dial tone.  I unplugged everything from each of the wall phone jacks.  I went out to the NID and there are 2 test jacks.  Test Jack#1 has blue wires & white wires w/blue stripes coming from inside the house.  Test Jack#2 has orange wires & white wires w/orange stripes coming from inside of the house.  I unplug all the wires coming from the house from the test jacks.  I try to dial my landline number from my cell phone while all the house wires are disconnected from the NID and I'm getting a busy signal.

Test Jack #1 on NID

I plug a phone with DSL filter into the first test jack and there is no dial tone.  There is no sound on the line.

Test Jack#2 on NID

I plug the phone into the 2nd test jack and there is a dial tone.  I decided to use the phone while being plugged into the 2nd test jack to dial my cell phone.  I got the call on my cell phone and it's from a number that I do not recognize.  It's not the same number that's on my Verizon account.  I leave the phone plugged into the 2nd test jack and I use my cell phone to call back the unknown number that I had just received, and the phone on the test jack starts ringing.  I use my cell phone to dial my landline number that's on my Verizon account and it's still getting a busy signal.

I believe this unknown number might have been the previous home owner's old phone number.  On the side panel of the NID, there is a 7 digit number written with a black marker which match the last 7 digits of the unknown number.

At this point I'm confused.  So I decide to do more testing.

More Testing on Jack#2 on NID

I plug in the orange house wires back into the 2nd test jack on the NID, I leave the 1st test jack blue house wires unplugged.  I go in the house and plug my DSL modem into the wall phone jack.  Wait several minutes, and I'm not getting any connection from the DSL modem.

More Testing on Jack#1 on NID

I unplug the orange house wires from the 2nd test jack on the NID.  I plug in the blue house wires on the 1st test jack on the NID.  I go in the house and plug the DSL modem into the wall phone jack and it's getting network communication and working.

Here's what I've learned

- Test Jack#1 has no dial tone at the NID, but DSL works.  DSL must be running off the blue, & white w/blue house wires.

- Test Jack#2 has a dial tone but the phone number is not what my landline phone number is supposed to be.  DSL does not work using test jack#2 orange house wires.

- My landline phone number that was given to me by Verizon gets a busy signal when calling from another phone, even if all the house wires are disconnected from the NID.

Any advice on what I should do next?  Any suggestions on the cause of the problem?

0 Likes
Re: No Dial Tone at NID but DSL is working
MisplaceDreamer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright, so it sounds like you DSL is set up as "dry loop" (which means no active voice connection on that line)

and your Landline has been associated with a 2nd telephone line. (which you've already learned)

The easiest fix is to call into cust srvc (800-verizon) and tell them that you need the DSL srvc moved onto your landline number,

OR Vice versa. It was probably a simple mistake in the order that caused it to create 2 different billing telephone numbers.

Its a pretty easy fix, and all the work can be done from the central office. No one will need to be sent out, unless if for some reason you *need* the lines to be associated with the other pair (blue & white) of wires to be properly associated thru the house. Then that MIGHT prompt a tech to go to the box, but again, should be an easy fix.

Hope this helps!

-K

0 Likes