Unsolicited Junk Calls
StopSpamCalls
Enthusiast - Level 1

First,

Is anyone as disgusted as me with all the unsolicited calls? They call and if you don't answer they don't leave a message or identify themselves.

Do Not Call has been worthless. I have written to Congressman Andrews, District 1 NJ about this and he doesn't even bother to answer me.

Verizon is not much better. They have a feature to block calls but they only allow 10 blocked calls. I have asked them many times to increase that to 100 or 1,000. They ignore me or just say no. Storage space is so cheap that there is no reason why they cannot bump up the number from 10 to something more useful.

Since Do Not Call has become worthless I'm asking everyone reading this to Contact Verizon and ask them to increase the number of calls we can block to 1,000 or maybe even unlimited. Call them, send them emails, send them snail mail and continue doing it until they agree to increase the number of calls we can block.

0 Likes
Re: Unsolicited Junk Calls
PJL
Master - Level 3

@StopSpamCalls wrote:

First,

Is anyone as disgusted as me with all the unsolicited calls? They call and if you don't answer they don't leave a message or identify themselves.

Do Not Call has been worthless. I have written to Congressman Andrews, District 1 NJ about this and he doesn't even bother to answer me.

Verizon is not much better. They have a feature to block calls but they only allow 10 blocked calls. I have asked them many times to increase that to 100 or 1,000. They ignore me or just say no. Storage space is so cheap that there is no reason why they cannot bump up the number from 10 to something more useful.

Since Do Not Call has become worthless I'm asking everyone reading this to Contact Verizon and ask them to increase the number of calls we can block to 1,000 or maybe even unlimited. Call them, send them emails, send them snail mail and continue doing it until they agree to increase the number of calls we can block.

These type of call are likely computer generated and the company doing the calling could care less about the do-not call registry.  They use a computer dialing system that dials sequential numbers, sometimes hundreds or thousands at a time.  The calling number is spoofed so blocking the number won't do any good, because the next time they call they just spoof a different calling number. 

What we really need is a way to ignore calls where the Caller ID information is being spoofed.  That way these types of call would never get through to us in the first place.  I undertsand such a system exists in Canada, but not here.   

0 Likes
Removemyinfo80

This is how I eliminated my unwanted phone calls…

NOTE: Phone numbers are recycled just like mailing addresses - you could be receiving calls intended for the past owners of your number.

* Registered with National do not call list - https://www.donotcall.gov/

NOTE: Register current/past phone numbers - help the poor soul that has your old numbers.

NOTE: This service only stops unsolicited phone calls. Keep in mind most of the calls we receive (just like junk snail mail) is solicited. When you provide your personal info to a company they then share that info with others. Then they share - the snowball continues.

* Opt out of sharing & marketing with every company you do business/share info with. This is easily done via their website and/or log into your account and update your preferences.

NOTE: This will also help reduce unwanted snail mail.

* Google cleanse your phone number - more companies are using online “free” lookup sites as their call/mailing list.

Start with whitepages, intelius (anywho, addresses, zabasearch), beenverified (neighborwho, ownerly), spokeo, Radaris, peoplefinders, truthfinder (instantcheckmate), truepeoplesearch (print report)

* Obtain your free credit reports (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion & Innovis) - https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/free-credit-reports - remove ALL phone numbers listed. Call the dispute number on the reports and ask what creditor is reporting said info. Correct with creditor before disputing info.

NOTE: I also suggest you do this with name/address variations. Your goal is to have one name variation (females - maiden/married - one each) and one address variation per correct address listed.

* Voter registration is public record - do NOT include your phone number/email unless you understand that this WILL generate unwanted phone calls/emails, etc.

NOTE: If you receive phone calls for the other party - sign your phone number is still,listed for a previous owner of your number. Contact your local election office and have your number removed from this individual’s voter registration - https://www.usa.gov/election-office.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes