Voice Mail
sec5

My home phone answering machine is not registering voice messages.  Total messages is always is on "0".  But, they are registering on my Verizon account on-line. I want to use my home phone as my primary messaging service.  I don't want to have to log into a computer everytime I need to check a message.

0 Likes
Re: Voice Mail
minded
Contributor - Level 1

If I understand correctly, you have a physical answering machine where you live, and would like that to pick up instead of the voicemail service from Verizon?  If this is the case, you can either:

• Turn of Verizon's VM
  • Increase the amount of rings before pickup for the Verizon VM and use it as a backup
  • Decrease the amount of rings for you answering maching before pickup

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

There is no need to log into the computer for your voice mail.

From the phone you can hit *86 to access voice mail right from the phone.

LIke the previous poster said, increase VZ VM and/or decrease our home VZ answer.

We like to use both so when we are on the phone and don't want to answer the phone the caller has the ability to leave a message. 

JIm

0 Likes
sec5

Thanks.  I can't seem to find where to turn off the VZ voicemail.  Any idea?

0 Likes
sec5

Jim, to test my issue I called my home phone several times today from work and left a message.  When I came home, my machine said I had "0" messages.  How would I know if I have any without logging onto a computer?  I'm going with the option of turning VZ voicemail off and see how that works.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If you pick up the phone you should hear a studder dial tone indicating you have a voice message.

I guess I should ask, do you have Fios Digital Voice or Landiline. 

What website are you using to check your voice mail?

Assuming you have digital voice I don't see an option to disable voice mail.  I think you need to call to have it disabled.

There are settings for voice mail under notifications to turn on message light and change dial tone to studder.

I also have it send me a text and email message to inform me when a voice message is left.

Hope this helps.

Jim

0 Likes