Download: 276 (Kbps)
Upload: 122 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 33.7 down 15 up
Tested by server: 56 java
User: 1757242 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: verizon.net
Compared to the average of 633 tests from verizon.net:
* download is 97% worse, upload is 98% worse

I pay for the 768kb or better plan. The up speed 122 out of 160, is almost acceptable, but the download speed is awful. It's been like this for over two weeks now. The modem itself says it's connected at 544 now; sometimes it's as high as 608, but the REAL spped is much, much lower as evidenced by the speed test above.

I have power-cycled my modem, removed my LAN (leaving one PC connected to the modem), removed any telephony device that's not a phone (a fax machine and a direcTV reciever), and put in a shorter phone wire for the modem. This brought me to the speed above, which is still not even 50% of what I pay for. Everything is properly filtered. My house does not have a phone line terminal with a test jack, so don't ask me to test the modem there.

More Technical Data:

Hardware: Westell 6100F modem connected to a Zonet ZSR 0104CP router, which serves 2 Windows PC's, one Vista, the other 7.

Transceiver Statistics:

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0

Vendor ID Code: 4

Line Mode: G.DMT Mode

Data Path: Interleaved  

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 544 160

Margin (dB) 6.5 13.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 63.5 31.5

Transmit Power (dBm) 13.6 11.5

Line Quality Test Results from DSLReports.com:

Recent Test

More Recent Test

Please ask me if there any more technical data needed to help me out.

0 Likes
Re: ABYSMAL DSL Speeds
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Margin (dB) - Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation - Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

-

#1 Did you try connecting your modem directly to the NID?

Points to: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

#2 If not, please do and retest those margins and Line Attenuation.

0 Likes
cihilb

I am also having problems with Verizon speeds. This started the first part of August. My speeds were cosnsitantly around 1013 to 1084, I am paying for 1 mbps service.. Then the problems started. The speed would upstream speed would go down to under 500 and a few times went to 0. I contacted service and theyran tests and could find no problems. Finally, after 3 weeks of speaking with about 6 different customer reps, I contacted Consumer Affairs.

I then received a  call from a senior accounts rep and at first he was more than happy to help. A service tech was dispatched and found a problem at the NIB. The speed increased dramatically. He told me that I had a very good line to the CO.

A few days later the problem started again. I called the senior rep again and he said he would try to resolve the problem.

Again, the problem went away, but kept coming back. The rep then started to tell me about the distance to the CO and traffic on the internet. He could not explain why the speeds were so high before and kept insisting that i was too far from the CO. He told me that due to the distance from the CO that I could not expect the 1mbps rate. When I tried to explain that this problem ahd just started, he again told me that nothing could be done. When I explained that I was getting 928 downstream and 484 upstream he told me that was all I could expect.

I kept calling and finally (while I was not home) I received a voicemail from the technician and the senior rep that they had reconfigured my line and all should be fine.

This lasted about 1 week and the speed again dropped down.

This time to 864 and 160. Cycling the modem used to resolve the issue. Not any more.I am LOCKED at the lower speeds.

I have been calling the senior account rep and he refuses to return my calls.

I am going to give them one more day to respond and then reopen my case with Consumer Affairs.

0 Likes
djw1234

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is Consumer Affairs and how did you contact them?  I'm having issues with a DSL upgrade right now and I'm looking for a contact other than the usual 1-800-VERIZON overseas call center support.  Thanks!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The upload is pretty much spot on for what your upstream is showing on the sync. You won't get much better than 130kbps on that.

The downstream however is a mess. It's hard to say whether or not you're seeing issues due to a long line or if you've got some circuit issue causing some issues. Either way, if you're not at 864kbps, there's a line problem. For this, the most you can try doing is taking the modem out to your NID to see if the stats improve any, and failing that, having Verizon send a tech out to see what is going on.

If you're getting noise on your voice service such as static, by all means get them out especially if it's present at the NID. They have to sort that out if it's on their end before the line gets worse.

0 Likes