Actiontec or Quantum Gateway Modem - which needed?
Jwerking

Looking into a FIOS  triple play promotional package that will provide 100/100 Mbps internet speed.  We are two seniors that  essentially surf the internet daily for PCs and sometimes will use Netflix.  No smartphones and one Ipad.

The Amazon price for an Actiontec is $89 vs $150 for the Quantum Gateway.  Given our devices and use, do we need the Quantum or will the Actiontec be fine?

Thanks - from the Dinosaur generation!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec or Quantum Gateway Modem - which needed?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dfo wrote:

What router do I need if I just want the FIOS 50 Mbps Internet plan only?  No TV, no voice.  Will the Actiontec 1424 Rev I be sufficient?  Can you recommend stronger, better 3rd party routers that will work with FIOS internet?

As said it supports 802.11n but only on the 2.4 band.  It supports gigabit wired connections.   Its sufficient but many other third party routers are better.  Since you say internet only, you can pretty much use any one and a ethernet connection from the ONT to your router. Consider one with 802.11ac dual band (2.4 and 5.0) support.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are going with Quantum TV service, then you will need a minimum of a Rev I ActionTec.

0 Likes
Jwerking

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I searched for an Actiontec Model MI424WR, Rev 1  on Amazon - which was what the Verizon website during the online order stated as compatiable. 

The Amazon seller states that this is a Verizon Router and comments from prior purchasers verify this fact.

I placed the order for FIOS installation today and of course, the rep insisted how great their new $200 Quantum routers are and that they no longer even provide  the Actiontec routers because it is an old model.

How old is Actiontec Model MI424WR, Rev 1 and is it fine for our purposes?

Will the Verizon tech install it upon arrival or are they going to refuse?

Just want to be prepared. 

Thanks

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not exactly sure how old it is, but sufficient for your lite use.

Think of it as a car dealer trying to sell you on the new model vs last years. You just need a car that will let you do errands every now and then.

Not much for the install. Connect to coax and turn it on.

But you will need it before they activate your service.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actiontec Rev I (letter)  not 1(number).  its pefrectly acceptable for Quantum TV service.  But it doesn't support 802.11ac and dual band 2.4 and 5.0 service.  Only supporting 2.4 mhz  and 801.11n.  Personally I have used other routers for my wireless support.  A Netgear router 802.11n dual band for many years and currently a Asus 802.11ac router .

0 Likes
dfo1

What router do I need if I just want the FIOS 50 Mbps Internet plan only?  No TV, no voice.  Will the Actiontec 1424 Rev I be sufficient?  Can you recommend stronger, better 3rd party routers that will work with FIOS internet?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dfo wrote:

As said it supports 802.11n but only on the 2.4 band.  It supports gigabit wired connections.   Its sufficient but many other third party routers are better.  Since you say internet only, you can pretty much use any one and a ethernet connection from the ONT to your router. Consider one with 802.11ac dual band (2.4 and 5.0) support.

danivanov
Enthusiast - Level 3

So using a customer supplied router would involve running an ethernet from the garage up into the house, and finally into the router.

Wouldn't this result in a long ethernet chord being run through the garage into the house? If so, wouldn't a long ethernet chord mitigate any benefits of a 3rd party router because of signal loss? (i read that the longer the ethernet, the less beneficial it is)

Also, one more question;

@tns2 wrote:

Since you say internet only, you can pretty much use any one and a ethernet connection from the ONT to your router. 

What other options are there if one doesn't want to use 'internet only' with a router? And how would a third party router stop these options?

Sorry, I am very naive to all this.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You are responding to a post over a year old...

what the replyer meant was you can use any router you wish. Not only at 50/50 speeds but even higher.

using the Fios router simply makes it easy on the installer. And of course if you did not buy the Verizon router at $150 plus tax you will incur a $10 a month fee for the rental.

the Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 is not the best for WiFi. Just google search on the question.

the length of ethernet can be quite lengthy over 100 ft. So I would not worry. The router is not important if you are not getting tv or phone. If you get tv you have to use the coaxial off the Verizon router or use an adapter to use for the tv.

internet only is very easy to set up. This coming from the garage etc. I cannot speak of.

i am sure the installer can figure it out.

A word of caution...if you use your own router Verizon will not support any issues outside of outside signal to the ont.

0 Likes