Best Setup for Wifi Extender?
EMSJunkie1

So wanted to get opinions on the best setup I need. I'm setting up wifi service in my guesthouse. I'm currently using the new gateway router in my house and have the 5G, 2.4G and Guest wifi's setup and maxed speed available with Fios. Since my guesthouse will be used as a daycare during the day and at night more of a man cave or parties I wanted wifi available. I'm looking for pros and cons of the 2 options I'm thinking of doing. And which would provide the best wifi service.

1) Run a network line from my current router to a second router that will be in the guesthouse. This option will run me probably $75 which includes a $50 second router. But will it provide the true speed of the 5G?

2) Just have verizon place a new cable outlet in my guesthouse and buy the Verizon extender for $99. This option is obviously more since Verizon will charge much more to run more cable to where I need it. 

Is option 1 good enough to have a solid wifi? Besides what devices people would be connecting to it I'd also have a firestick and probably Xbox. Is there enough of a difference between option 1 & 2 that I should just spend the extra to do option 2? Overall option 2 will probably cost me like $200 more than option 1. Just want to see if that extra is worth it or not. Or I f option will still provide solid speeds or similar that it won't be noticeable. 

0 Likes
Re: Best Setup for Wifi Extender?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Option 1 will depend on quality of cable run and what capabilities of router you are using.

If both are good to better quality, there is no real difference in options.

0 Likes
ksolkowitz

I have the fios G1100 router with 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz setup going - whatever verizon installed when I got their phone/internet service.

it seems that we get terrible performance in another part of the house.
I was going to plug a Cisco E2500 into one of the ports on the G1100 buy it seems to mess up all internet = not just give me another wireless access connection. is this because I can't connect a switch to the G1100?

how do I know if there is a firmware upgrade for the G1100 wireless router?  thank you.

Ken

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Save yourself the trouble since what you want to do is not correct.

you can buy a Verizon extender which is plug and play and comes with Fios install assistance if you call. 

Normally a WiFi extender plugs into a wall outlet and picks up your routers SSID and makes it available in another part of your home. 

You could also also move the router if possible to a point midway in your home for better coverage. However Verizon often times places the equipment in crazy locations which makes it difficult to move.

Get the Verizon extender.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can either use the FIOS WiFi extender or your own rotuer.

Do it this way (I have done it)

Google how to make your Cisco router an access point.
Run an ethernet cable from a lan port of G1100 to a Lan port of Cisco router.

Use procedure to configure IP address (on 192.168.0.x subnet) and configure SSID/password on it.

0 Likes