Bought new router & signal range/strength is awful!
jrwhiskey

We purchased Verizon's new and improved router... we did nothing else. Router is in the same location in our house, no change in services, etc., no home improvements done, etc. etc.

For the last 2 months we have found that there's barely any wireless signal in two rooms of our house that previously  had 50% signal (furthest away from the router location)  with the old router.

Other than dish out more $$ for an extender... does anyone have any suggestions to get our signal strength back?

Thanks for any advise.

Julie

0 Likes
Re: Bought new router & signal range/strength is awful!
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I got the Actiontec 802.11n router a couple of years ago.  I have the same issue - the range is lower than the Actiontec 802.11g it replaced.  I tried high gain antennae, they did nothing.  I ended up relocating the router to a more central location in my home as I never found a way to get it's range up.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
dmooregt

A Verizon tech installed my Actiontec GT784WNV modem/router in the middle of May 2014.  It replaced a Westel modem (very old...tech said he had not seen one like it in years) and Linksys router, both of which worked fine and I get great reception in my home...about 50 feet from where the modem/router is located in my office.  Since the Actiontec was installed, my reception on my laptop (when working in the house) has dropped to "low" and doing anything on the internet is painfully slow.  I had to take the laptop to my office...right next to the router...to complete this post!  I also have a wireless Canon printer MP495 in my home that worked great with the Westel/Linksys combo.  The signal strength has dropped to 30% since the Actiontec was installed so forget printing anything like pictures or with graphics.  There are a set of windows and a brick wall between the Actiontec and my home.  Does anyone have any suggestions to boost my signal strength?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try rotating the router 90 degrees or move it a foot or two. Might help a bit more with due to the internal antenna design.

0 Likes
jrwhiskey

Thanks for all the replies. We have had this "new" router since April... and we have tried most of the suggestions here plus a few others we found online. We tried each change for 5-7 days before trying the next thing

>moved it a total of 6 ft closer to the center of the house (2 x 3 ft)

>rotated the antena orientation so that the 2 antena were at right angles to each other

>other various configurations for the antena when moving closer to the center of the house

We did see a VERY small improvement when we took the antena off the OLD verizon router and replaced one of the antena off the new router.

After 4 months of trying we may just go back to the old router...

It's a real shame a new replacement that we paid extra for would have such poor performance !!

0 Likes