COAX cable, Actiontec dying
Massman22

I know there are many conversations on this topic out there, but I haven't found one that answers my problem. I have Verizon Fios with TV. The OTN is in the basement, feeding 7 coax cables for room distribution. The Actiontec M1424WR Rev.1 router wifi is in the second floor office, getting signal from coax. The Actiontec is dying, and I had hoped to buy a router/wifi to avoid Verizon rental fee's. The problems, as stated in other chats are 1. getting coax to ethernet to get into modern router/wifi, 2. addressing the TV room box on demand/ guide issues. Has an easy work around been developed, or should I bite the bullet and stay with Verizon. As a point of reference, the coax to ethernet adapters are now around $100 (that I've been able to locate) , good router/wifi for large area signal distribution are around $175. and Veizon wants $15/ month rental or buy outright for $300. Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: COAX cable, Actiontec dying
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Verizon set-top-boxes, it's best to keep a Verizon router as primary.  Although given the ancient Actiontec you're using, I suspect you also have ancient set-top-boxes.  Those are a bit easier to get working with a non-Verizon router, but then you'll have to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router and install your own MoCA bridge.  It's somewhat complicated if you're not inclined to play with networking.

I think cang_household is confused over you use case.  As a replacement for the Actiontec, there is no extensive G1100 configuration required.  It really is as simple as unplugging the Actiontec and replacing it with the G1100.  You'll have a new WiFi network name and password, of course.  You can log into the router, app or website to change the SSID and password if you want.

If you want to use a G1100 as a MoCA bridge and extender, that does require some work.  But nothing in your post that suggests this is needed.

The G1100 is currently fully supported by Verizon.  I've no idea how long that will last, as they just introduced an even newer router than the G3100.  It could be removed from support soon, or it could last a few more years.  With Verizon, we never know...

If you're concerned that a $40 used G1100 might not be supported in the near future and you don't want to pay $300 for a new G3100 from Verizon, try looking for used G3100s.  If you can find one it might be a good solution.

If the dual-band 802.11ac WiFi on the G1100 isn't good enough for you, you could add the appropriate model of Verizon extender to your coax network, buy another G1100 and bridge it as cang_household described, or even put a non-Verizon access point behind the G1100 using an Ethernet connection.

If it were me, I'd spend the $40 bucks on a used G1100 and see how long it lasts.  Even if it's just a year, you'll be ahead of the game.  Who knows, the price of the G3100 may come down as they phase in the newer router.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Buy a used G1100.

Massman22

Thanks for the response. As "IT" is not my thing, is a used G1100 young enough to be supported still by Verizon? Do I need to do anything besides "plug everything into it"? Thanks again.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Massman22 wrote:

is a used G1100 young enough to be supported still by Verizon? Do I need to do anything besides "plug everything into it"?

No and yes. G1100 is released in 2014, so more than 7 years ago. I believe it will be end of life and end of support soon as two newer routers has been released. G3100 succeeds G1100 in 2019. G3100 is succeeded by CR1000A two months ago.

To use G1100 as a MoCA Ethernet adapter and access point, extensive configuration is required and this configuration is not officially supported by Verizon.

I coded an interactive guide guiding you how to configure the G1100 into a link device on the Forums and the link is shown to the right of the page.

If you'd like a "plug and play" solution and wants Verizon support, I suggest you to purchase a G3100 router.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

With Verizon set-top-boxes, it's best to keep a Verizon router as primary.  Although given the ancient Actiontec you're using, I suspect you also have ancient set-top-boxes.  Those are a bit easier to get working with a non-Verizon router, but then you'll have to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router and install your own MoCA bridge.  It's somewhat complicated if you're not inclined to play with networking.

I think cang_household is confused over you use case.  As a replacement for the Actiontec, there is no extensive G1100 configuration required.  It really is as simple as unplugging the Actiontec and replacing it with the G1100.  You'll have a new WiFi network name and password, of course.  You can log into the router, app or website to change the SSID and password if you want.

If you want to use a G1100 as a MoCA bridge and extender, that does require some work.  But nothing in your post that suggests this is needed.

The G1100 is currently fully supported by Verizon.  I've no idea how long that will last, as they just introduced an even newer router than the G3100.  It could be removed from support soon, or it could last a few more years.  With Verizon, we never know...

If you're concerned that a $40 used G1100 might not be supported in the near future and you don't want to pay $300 for a new G3100 from Verizon, try looking for used G3100s.  If you can find one it might be a good solution.

If the dual-band 802.11ac WiFi on the G1100 isn't good enough for you, you could add the appropriate model of Verizon extender to your coax network, buy another G1100 and bridge it as cang_household described, or even put a non-Verizon access point behind the G1100 using an Ethernet connection.

If it were me, I'd spend the $40 bucks on a used G1100 and see how long it lasts.  Even if it's just a year, you'll be ahead of the game.  Who knows, the price of the G3100 may come down as they phase in the newer router.