CR1000A drops connection to internet
JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Five days ago Verizon installed a new CR1000A router in our apt building's basement with new CAT6 cable to Verizon's distribution box. It worked for a day and since I can't connect to the internet. The front LED is white. The WAN LED for the CAT6 flashes yellow and eventually stops. I tried to reboot several times, both soft and hard. Nothing works. Our iPhones connect to the router and I can open mynetworksettings.com. Everything seems to be 'connected' and nothing seems off. No one else in the building has trouble connecting to Verizon as far as I know. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: CR1000A drops connection to internet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you really lost Internet connection when the port LED goes off?

Notice the LED may turn off after 15 minutes by default when there is no change in connectivity.

JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great! It's good to know that's working, too. I can't find anything wrong from the router's diagnostics or LEDs. I must be missing something. 

0 Likes
JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not the router but the ONT that is the problem. I moved the CR1000A to another ONT and it works fine. The ONT is a Verizon I-211M-K. Is there a way to reboot the ONT?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Users can unplug the power supply for, say one minute and then plug it back in again. 🤔

JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't think that would have worked as the ONT has a battery which can power it for hours. I tried that and the power LED stayed lit on the ONT. I did find out how to reboot this old model. Hold down the "silence alarm" button long enough, the power will be cut off to the ONT from the battery and it will reboot. 

Now we connected again to the internet! Hurray! Thanks for the comments, it was in the right direction and I finally narrowed it down. I still wonder if it will be stable. We'll see.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmm....

The Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211 doesn't come with a BBU. There is an optional Power Reserve unit that requires 12 "D" cells to support telephone functionality.

The 211 may be plugged into a UPS which would keep the whole unit alive during a power failure.

Could a picture of the ONT and one of the power backup unit/UPS be posted? 🤔

Side note: Pictures submitted go into queue for a Moderator to check over before they appear for us to see. 🙂

JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

imageDoes this help?

0 Likes
JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to reboot again this morning.

While I was at it I did a speed test: download 332 Mbps, upload 1.6 (yes a paltry 1.6) Mbps.

I don't have much hope the ONT will continue to function.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would suggest reaching out to Verizon for more testing and to have them check the ONT's error log(s).