Re: CR1000A drops connection to internet
JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, that's a good idea. We already have and we're waiting. If I understand correctly, Verizon is responsible for the ONT. 

Some background: this is a coop and the ONT/router is the coop's. Its main purpose is to transmit the instrumentation readings from the heating system. The system runs automatically; but we can't monitor or change settings without this control system. The super uses the wifi as an additional benefit. Each of us has our own ONT/router in our apartments for our personal usage. Most of us use Verizon.

Thus, being able to reboot the building's system gets us through until Verizon has a final fix. 

Thanks, again.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let us know what the final answer is. I noticed that the photo hasn't appeared yet. 😐 

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just spotted the picture. interesting that the Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211 is mounted inside of what appears to be an old Motorola enclosure. The 211 here at our house is mounted inside of an old Tellabs 611 enclosure. 🙂

JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It predates me by years. We don't have BB for our ONT in our apartments. I don't think a BB is needed for the building's ONT. If power goes out, so does the router. The ONT reboots faster than the router. I'll ask the Verizon guy/gal when they come. We'll see what their solution is. I'll report back. Have a good Thanksgiving all!

0 Likes
JamesBXV1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon tells our manager that the account was "restricted" because it was a source of viruses. The 3 people with the password would not knowingly pass viruses. Verizon said it would lift the restrictions.

Over the last 24 hours I haven't had to reboot the ONT, which I usually did 3-4 times per day. Perhaps they did something. Time will tell. In any case, upload speed is a paltry 1.7Mbps (while the download is greater than 300Mbps). I suspect there is still something wrong or they haven't lifted the restrictions. 1.7Mbps?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, is this one of those setups where the connection is being used to provide Internet to other Tenants? Or is this just a Staff Only setup?

I would recommend something more robust than a CR1000A if you're going to be providing Internet to tenants. Look at something like a Ubiquti Dream Machine Pro SE and an Access Point or two. The Dream Machine has the ability to block torrents, so you can keep DMCA notices away which will also put your connection into a restricted mode, and it will also support IPS/IDS which will help curb malware and other malicious traffic.

For the time being, change your DNS to Quad9's servers of 9.9.9.11 and 149.112.112.11. These provide some DNS level security filtering. Not much but it's more than what Verizon's DNS will provide.

0 Likes