Can I use other router as main and add Quantum gateway router?
Moon0625

Hi Everyone,

I have Fios gigabit service and Quantum gateway router. I would like to know if I can use other brand router(non-wireless) as primary and add gateway router as second. 

Here is the story. 

We have a ethernet cable box in basement where controls all ethernet ports in house. I would like to use wired connection in some rooms so I have to put 1st router near cable box in basement. If I put quantum gateway router in basement, signal will be  too weak for upstair. So I am wondering if it is possible to put some cheap router in basement and run cable to Quantum router which will be in 1st floor. Would this work? Or should I get 2 Quantum gateway routers? 

Thank you for your help everyone!

0 Likes
Re: Can I use other router as main and add Quantum gateway router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's probably better to get one of the Network Extenders which Verizon sells, or to attach an access point to the FiOS Quantum router via CAT5e or CAT6(a) cable. 

You do have to be careful with the cheap routers. Most can't route Gigabit connections.

There is an FAQ here explaining some router combinations you can look into if you're still interested: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes