Cannot disable UPnP..
xxlap1xx

Hi.. i'm having trouble disabling my UPnP feature on the 9100EM.. what happened is that I have several guests who will be sharing my internet,  and I don't want them to use UPnP to open up my ports for something such as torrenting.... I don't trust anybody in my network except for me so I need make sure they're not doing stupid things with my internet..

After I disabled UPnP on my router, I deleted all the ports that are being forwarded, but what happened is that when I run an UPnP application, it forwards that application's port automatically. I'm currently running on 1.03.00.08 firmware.

This is how I disable my UPnP:

Advance  -  UPnP  -  uncheck "Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features"

But it did not work for me..

Any help will be very appreciated.. Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: Cannot disable UPnP..
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

After you disabled UPnP, did you try giving the router a reboot a few minutes later? It could be one of those settings that doesn't take effect until after a reboot, even though it should technically be instant (if the daemon hasn't crashed or glitched out). Just keep in mind, UPnP only allows for members on a network to automatically create port forwarding entries so that they may seed data back to a swarm. It won't prevent them from downloading a torrent. To stop P2P usage you will need to do a bit more than disable UPnP.

0 Likes
xxlap1xx

Yea I rebooted the router too.. the problem still persist.. 

And yea, I just don't want their programs to forward my ports automatically.. i don't want to block them or anything, but their speed will drop tremendously and this can should be enough to slaughter their dream of torrenting at my house.. 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

What firmware level do you have in the Westell?

Here's a link to a post regard UPnP in the Westell that confirms that UPnP can be disabled in firmware version 1.02.00.04.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23946325-

If you have a newer version of the firmware, it's possible diabling UPnP may be broken.

0 Likes
xxlap1xx

I'm currently running on  1.03.00.08.. but definitely will try 1.02 and see how it goes.. thanks for the advice.. will report back whether it's working or not.. hopefully it's not my router's problem.. 

0 Likes
platgold36
Enthusiast - Level 2

if you have FIOS tv services, do not disable UPNP as many of your tv services require UPNP, i believe your better alternative is to use the parental controls feature to limit access.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@platgold36 wrote:

if you have FIOS tv services, do not disable UPNP as many of your tv services require UPNP 

That's incorrect.  FIOS-TV does not utilize UPnP.

platgold36
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok, maybe tv services do not, but Remote DVR, Caller ID TV, Widgets all use UPNP.

there might also be a couple of other things i've forgotten.

0 Likes