Cannot send outgoing emails from outlook Express
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

I access my verizon email from my work using Outlook Express.  I have been able to send and receive emails in the past.  I just set up a new computer using the same settings and now I cannot send email from this account.  I keep receiving the following error:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any help out there?

rick5472

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot send outgoing emails from outlook Express
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Justin....I seem to be good to go.  It must be my work that is blocking port 25 if you aren't having any problem using it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

When you set up the account, did you check the box "My server requires authentication" on the Servers tab and have the bullet selected to use save settings as for the incoming mail? And from the way you posted, you can receive mail, correct, just not send? All of the settings displayed in the error message look ok to me, and match what I have in my OE.

That error message, 0x800CCC0F, frequently indicates that you are trying to send an email that is too large - does what you are trying to send have any attachments, and if so, how big are they? Have you tried just creating a small test email and sending it to yourself?

At this point that is all I can think of.

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 05-01-2009 08:11 AM
0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

Justin-  The problem is that I cannot send email from the account.  I can receive incoming email.  Also, I do have the box checked stating that my server requires authentication and also for the outgoing mail server checked the bullet Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

That's why I can't figure this out.  I have the same settings as I had before on my old PC.  I use Outlook Express to send and receive email from my verizon account at work.  I also have Outlook that I use for work.  They both seemed to be compatible before so I don't think that is an issue.

-Rick

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2
I just tried to send a test message from that account and received the same error message.  I can send a message from my Outlook account and receive it OK in my verizon account.  I just can't seem to send from my verizon account........
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Rick,

Aw crap, I got the send and receive backwards in my post, but I knew in my mind you couldn't send, it was just my fingers that didn't Smiley Happy   Sorry....I have gone back and edited my original response (and now I am editing this one....).

What about message size? I Googled that error number and message size is an issue that can generate that error. You might Google the number and see if you can find anything else that might cause it.

Just a thought? Do you have some message(s) sitting in the Outbox folder that you didn't realize is/are there that might be too big?

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 05-01-2009 08:12 AM
0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2
My Outbox has the very short "test" message in it and that's it.  Strange........
0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

I am looking at my Advanced tab in the account properties.  The Server Port Numbers for Outgoing mail (SMTP) are set to 25 and the Incoming mail (POP3) is set to 110.  There are no other boxes checked in that form except to "Leave a copy of messages on server".

-Rick

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Rick,

I just went back and looked at your error message again, it says "Account: incoming.verizon.net", that seems like a strange account name, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

You said you can send with Outlook; are you using Outlook on the same PC as Outlook Express. I don't think there should be a problem with that, but I have never done it.

I am stumped at this point. If you can figure out any additional info you can give us that might help identify the problem that would be great. Otherwise, I am afraid greater minds than mine will probably have to help with this, although I will keep looking for an answer.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

What should be the incoming port number and the outgoing port number for Verizon?  Currently mine is set to Outgoing port 25 and incoming port 110.

-Rick

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Rick5472 wrote:

I am looking at my Advanced tab in the account properties.  The Server Port Numbers for Outgoing mail (SMTP) are set to 25 and the Incoming mail (POP3) is set to 110.  There are no other boxes checked in that form except to "Leave a copy of messages on server".

-Rick

Same as what I have set.

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes