Conflicting results from McAfee virus scan
BryanR1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I ran a Full Scan on my Windows XP computer using Verizon Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee.  It took about 5 hours but eventually it told me Your computer is secure (no action required). 0 Viruses detected in your last scan.  Then I clicked View Security Report, and that said it had detected 4 Viruses and 81 Trojans.  Why the difference?  Also, there was no way to display a list of what was found and their locations.  Anyone else had that kind of problem with the McAfee tool?  I have run McAfee Virtual Technician, it didn't find anything wrong. 

Re: Conflicting results from McAfee virus scan
prisaz
Legend

Try avast and schedule a scan at boot time. Has saved me a few times.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

0 Likes
BryanR1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I ran the full scan again, same conflicting result.  I think the Security Report doesn't just report on the scan just completed, it reports some or all of the prior scans.  If this is the case it should say so. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The report shows the results of all scans since the product was installed or the stats reset while the individual scan report shows just the most recent scan.   With that said ... I would do like the previous poster said and do yourself a favor by de-installing McAfee and installing a more robust and lighter weight product.   I used to be a big McAfee fan, but have switched all my customers to a different product after I got tired of the bloatware and performance issues as well as having to disinfect numerous "protected" machines from various infections that were missed by McAfee.    I'm currently installing and recommending ViPRE (they will disinfect any machine which which gets infected with their product installed for free), but there are numerous other pay and free products in the space.

0 Likes