Connecting 2 Westell 9100's together?
DigiManTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to have a wireless connection in my back yard. I have a main router in my office and the wireless connection is horrible outside. I have second 9100 that I would like to link to the the 1st one wirelessly (via WAP or bridge config, whatever would work). Am I dreaming or can this be done? I've seen that I can turn the main one into a bridge, but would lose functionality on my STB's, so definitely don't want to screw up the main connection.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting 2 Westell 9100's together?
DigiManTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wanted to say that I picked up an Actiontec router off of CL for $20, and installed DD-WRT on it. I have successfully bridged the Westell with the Actiontec wirelessly... YAY! 😄 That was an extremely cost effective solution that I just happened upon... LOL!

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

the title of the FAQ might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think the configuration is.

Take a look and see if it will work for what you want to do, includes instructions on bridging the westell 9100 EM 

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's a single radio in the second device ... so you can't really do what I suspect you want.

You could possibly configure something such that the second device could link wirelessly to the main device and provide service for the hardwire ports (hardware wireless client).

Or, you could possibly configure the second device to act as an "access point" and connect via an ethernet connection to your first device (access point mode).

But, to "repeat" the wireless signal and connect back to the main device wirelessly, you're going to need a "wireless repeater" (a device with two radios).

Is it possible to move the first router to a different location in your house?  I have an access point/router specifically located on the second floor of my house near the backyard so that it covers that area as well as the rest of the house.

0 Likes
DigiManTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah i have been reading over this stuff all day and can't seem to find anything that would really help me. I was trying to keep from buying additional equipment, but i don't see that happening. another solution seems to be disable the wireless on the westell, add a secondary router to one of the lan ports on it to run my wireless, and configure the secondary router as a bridge with a wap in the backyard. does this sound correct? can the westell handle that at least? i have access to a router that is running dd-wrt so i can configure that as a bridge or wap, and might consider just getting another one if it will do what i want it to do...

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@DigiManTX wrote:

I would like to have a wireless connection in my back yard. I have a main router in my office and the wireless connection is horrible outside. I have second 9100 that I would like to link to the the 1st one wirelessly (via WAP or bridge config, whatever would work). Am I dreaming or can this be done? I've seen that I can turn the main one into a bridge, but would lose functionality on my STB's, so definitely don't want to screw up the main connection.

The simple answer to you question is no, VZ routers can not be used as wireless bridges.

You have a few options.

• If you can get a coax or cat5 connection to a location in close proximity to the back yard, you can set up the second Westell as a Wireless Access Point (WAP).  Use the link Hubrisnxs provided for a coax connection, or Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router? for a cat5 connection to the second router.
  • There are wireless ethernet extenders available that have that act as a wireless client to the primary router and a WAP to local wireless devices.  The problem with these is that your throughput is cut in half (data has to received on one link then retransmitted on the other link).
  • Some third party firmware such as DD-WRT can operate in a client bridge mode.  You would need a router that can be flashed with third party firmware.  Same downside as the previous option.
DigiManTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wanted to say that I picked up an Actiontec router off of CL for $20, and installed DD-WRT on it. I have successfully bridged the Westell with the Actiontec wirelessly... YAY! 😄 That was an extremely cost effective solution that I just happened upon... LOL!