Connecting LG Smart TV to Verizon router using LG Dongle.
KARAOKEJUNKIE
Enthusiast - Level 2

The FIOS support person I spoke to earlier was not helpful and was actually defensive and loud and acted like I was bothering him when I asked technical questions, so I’ll try and type all this out and paste it as a question. Take your time, and maybe you will have a suggestion for me. Verizon FIOS support has always been a savior until today..

I have been trying to connect my LG Smart TV 42LV5500, which has a great picture, using their USB DONGLE. It recognizes the Verizon router and the security code. But when trying to connect to the network it stops at “gateway Address is wrong or not available. 

The LG support used these numbers for manual connection settings:

IP Address      192.168.1.12 or .50

Subnet Mask   255.255.255.0

Gateway          192.168.1.1

DNS server      208.67.222.222

Their “automatic” connection did no good also.That"s when he bounced me to verizon, who in turn bounced me back to LG.

I also tried for the DNS 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2, none working. Connection setting is DHCP. Then I tried via “Enable WLAN Connection Settings” at RQ8Q7 properties. Then I went to the Router website and they have different sets of IP and server numbers. One set at (LAN) DEVICE INFORMATION for the router, and another at (WLAN) ROUTER STATUS. Now I am confused, as it shouldn’t be that hard.

I am trying to enroll in WIFI using the Verizon Home Agent, and seeing if that helps, but the site will not work at present. The router does not have a WPS button or I would try that method.

Or do I need to enter the Router website again and make some changes that will allow the LG TV to get through the Gateway connection? Is it a Fios firewall enigma?

Any assistance would be appreciated for a retired gentleman in Staten Island trying to soak in all this new technology, but I find that sometimes I know more than the manufacturers help desk, as in Samsung support, and that is not good..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting LG Smart TV to Verizon router using LG Dongle.
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I suggest that you go into the Verizon router and change your Wireless from WEP to WPA2 with a PSK (pre-shared key)

Then from your TV try to connect to the wireless with these new settings.  WPA is a much better authentication/security than WEP.

Jim

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I suggest that you go into the Verizon router and change your Wireless from WEP to WPA2 with a PSK (pre-shared key)

Then from your TV try to connect to the wireless with these new settings.  WPA is a much better authentication/security than WEP.

Jim

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

To see if this is a connection problem, or an encryption settings issue, as a test try disabling wireless security altogether and then see if the TV can connect.  If so, then you have a encryptions settings mismatch.  If you can't connect with wireless security setting disabled, then you have some other problem.

Once you can connect with settings disabled, reenable settings on both sides being vertain to use identical settings.

KARAOKEJUNKIE
Enthusiast - Level 2

THAT SOLVED IT!!! WENT FROM WEP TO WPA, AND IT TOOK ME AWHILE TO GET MY COMPUTER ONLINE AGAIN, BUT I STUMBLED THROUGH IT AND REENTERED THE NEW SSID FOR WPA USING THE LG DONGLE AND IT SAILED RIGHT ON THROUGH. THANKS MUCH.

NOW WHERE DO I CHECK OFF THAT THIS IS SOLVED?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like you found the solution button 🙂 Glad to hear it's solved!

0 Likes
Kneemi

I have a similar issue with my LG TV and LG Dongle. I was trying to switch from WEP to WPA and WPA2 but none of them worked. I finally managed to connect the Wi-Fi using WEP and it shows that it's connected, however, as soon as I try to run any of the applications (Netflix,YouTube, etc.) it disconnects. Any suggestions? HELP please.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have a PC handy that you can use while at the TV, as soon as the TV connects I would start pinging the TV to see if it is actually connected or if it is mis-reporting it's connection status. The router and the TV should display what IP address the TV is actually holding. If no pings are returned yet the TV states it is connected, I would see if the TV is even set to use DHCP/Automatic Configuration at that point.

0 Likes
alp0495

This sounds like my problem, but I need a much more basic set of instructions. Should I just call the Verizon support?

0 Likes