DHCP Errors - "commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device"
John-Galt

I am getting this error in the router LAN error log when some of my devices try to connect:

"commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device"

I have seen many others with this issue with no resolution

Tried rebooting and resetting but still having the same problem. 

Something seems to be getting full and/or needs to be cleaned out.

0 Likes
Re: DHCP Errors - "commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device"
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How many devices do you have trying to connect to local lan/wifi?

0 Likes
John-Galt

Probably 15 including phones/computers/printer/xbox/tv etc...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

well let's tackle the first issue with routers is you must go into the router settings and make sure you set the number of devices that can be connected as the range on default can be set as low as 25 ip assignments.

if you up the ip assignments say to 40, 50, or higher the ip address range would be something like 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.52 (50 ip addresses assigned to/for connection to your router (network) please remember the greater number of devices on your network the less speed to each device.

If you are provisioned at some ridiculous low bandwidth like 50/50 then your problem above is made worse. Low bandwidth coupled with too few ip assignments with slower speeds equals disaster.

read your manual and find the section on increasing your ip allocation.

This is from another tech site but should fix your issue.

Good Luck

0 Likes
John-Galt

Thanks for that post...which I have already seen in those exact words elsewhere. Not sure if you are cutting and pasting from where I saw that or if you are the originator but nevertheless I have checked and I have the range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 and 255.255.255.0 as the netmask.

0 Likes
John-Galt

I am also getting this error:

"SettingsPersistor: Failed to write settings file: /media/config/public_settings"

which may explain whey the settings don't get save on re-boot or power-off/on.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

See the bottom of my post.

i said it’s from another tech site. I don’t take credit for what is not mine.

when you said you could not find anything anywhere else you now state you had seen this someplace before. ?....

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Router Model?  An unfriendly why to fix this is a full reset of the router.  Different models can be reset differently

0 Likes
DES922

I am having the same errors. Everything is fine for months, then the router goes haywire, filling up with space and throwing these errors:

Oct 15 22:52:48 2017 local3.info<158> dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.163 (192.168.1.1) from 6c:40:08:8e:ea:50 (Laurens-MBP) via br-lan: database update failed
Oct 15 22:52:48 2017 local3.info<158> dhcpd: commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device
Oct 15 22:52:44 2017 local3.info<158> dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.163 (192.168.1.1) from 6c:40:08:8e:ea:50 (Laurens-MBP) via br-lan: database update failed
Oct 15 22:52:44 2017 local3.info<158> dhcpd: commit_leases: unable to commit: No space left on device

Calls to support have gotten me blank stares and 2 new routers. Bang, it is happening again. Tonight's call got me a service call to repair my ONT. As if my ONT is going to fill up my router's flash space. Something is wrong and Verizon won't admit it. Cmon guys, help us out!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Remember you are NOT asking Verizon for support here.  The forums are peer to peer.

We need more information to give you suggestions.  Notably what router.

Some of these errors were discussed on DSLREPORTS with people recommending a reset to factory settings.

0 Likes