DNS Settings for Westell 9100EM Router
ralf18

I have continuously been experiencing issues with Verizon's preset DNS setting when using DHCP, and therefore plan to use a different set of DNS servers (I hear that 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.5 are recommended in the DC area where I live).

I wonder, however, where to change the DNS setting in the router.  The 9100EM has primary and secondary DNS settings both for the LAN (i.e. the internal network) (under My Network - Network Connections - Network (Home/Office)) and for the external WAN network (under My Network - Network Connections - Broadband Connection (Ethernet)).

Are the settings for both networks supposed to be identical, or can I use different settings for the LAN and for the WAN.  

Any recommendations which DNS servers I should choose for either network connection?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
Re: DNS Settings for Westell 9100EM Router
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The LAN DNS Settings usually point to the Router (192.168.1.1) and can be left alone   The DNS Settings for me are default to Verizon.  You can openDNS or GoogleDNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

The DNS settings you would change would be under the WAN settings.  Just be careful because you want to make sure your WAN DHCP is still set but you manually set DNS.

0 Likes
Sam2k

Exactly where may alternate DNS servers be assigned on the WAN side of a Westell 9100EM please?
Thought I'd find it here but I do not:
"My Network > Network Connections > Broadband (COAX) > Configure Connection"

Thanks,

Sam

0 Likes
Sam2k

Found here:

"My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Edit > Configure Connection"

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

To the OP:  You should probably change your DNS in your client (PC, tablet, etc.) and not in the router. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PJL wrote:

To the OP:  You should probably change your DNS in your client (PC, tablet, etc.) and not in the router. 

There are pros and cons of where they set it.

I point to http://www.grc.com/dns/configuring.htm

0 Likes
ralf18

I tried to set the LAN DNS at 192.168.1.1 but receive an error message ("DNS Server cannot have the IP address of Wireless Broadband Router Network").  The same happens when I set the DNS to the external IP address of the router.  Any idea why?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ralf18 wrote:

I tried to set the LAN DNS at 192.168.1.1 but receive an error message ("DNS Server cannot have the IP address of Wireless Broadband Router Network").  The same happens when I set the DNS to the external IP address of the router.

If you are trying to do that in the router's UI, no kidding.

If you are trying to do that on a computer behind the router, perhaps the router does not act as a DNS Server relay.

0 Likes