DSL Issues in Quinton VA
JustinCCIE1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey is anybody else having issues with DSL in VA. I can browse the internet but thats about all. None of my games work any more, My work VPN cannot connect. I was away for 5 days on vacation and I came back and nothing seems to work except looking at HTTP web pages. I have tried the following.

1. Reboot modem

2. Reboot PC

3. Tried different PC

4. Set modem back to factory default.

5. Tried differnt DNS servers.

6. Change to wired connection

I cant figure this out. I call for support but they are like "your getting to the internet whats the problem" I can get to the internt but I cant do anythinug other than browse webpages.

Anybody esle having issues?

Re: DSL Issues in Quinton VA
nickelspit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in Ashland VA and my DSL has sucked for the last 4 days. Connection timeouts, connection dropping, etc. I've done all the stuff you have. I've had  a "dry loop" DSL connection at this location for the last 7 years and it has been essentially trouble free up until Tuesday of this week. I haven't called as I haven't had time for the runaround. I'm about fed up now though.

0 Likes
Jason1366
I am also having the exact issue.....I am out near the Winery....all of your issues for the past 4 days....connection says excellent but every device is either slow or times out.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Rexo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen you post this message twice but no one replies. Maybe explain what the traceroute is looking for, i.e., what is the significance of finding "ERX"? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

ERX indicates the type of router you go through in Verizon's Central office. It's used for making sure you're on a higher capacity router from what Verizon used to use on their network (some areas still use old, old gear from Erricson Redback Networks!), but it's also used to identify if you're having a semi-documented issue with certain pieces of equipment.