DSL Line Slitter
res15vu6j
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Verizon DSL account that works very well.  I would like to attach a printer and a telephone to the line.  There is only one telephone jack at the end of the line so I purchased a splitter with three jacks.  When insert the splitter and attach the printer and telephone the jack The internet connection slows to a crawl and stops working all together intermittently.  How can I solve this problem?

0 Likes
Re: DSL Line Slitter
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is something called a DSL Filter.

Each phone device connected to the phone line, not including the DSL modem, must be behind a DSL Filter.

So, do exactly that - But here is something to know, to save you money.

If where to have a wall jack -> splitter with two jacks and then behind it a splitter with five jacks:

Between the two jack splitter and the splitter with five jacks. you would put the DSL Filter. But the wire between the splitter with two jacks and the dsl modem, make sure it has no DSL Filter.

^^^

res15vu6j
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you very much!  The problem I have is not with the DSL Filter but with the splitter.  The splitter slows down the DSL connection and even interrupts it intermittently.  What can I do about this? Can I replace the box with he jack?

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Is this 'printer' a fax machine or a network printer?  Because you CANNOT connect a network printer directly to a phone line.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, I agree with weedeater's post - which is why I gave them a kudo.

@res15vu6j wrote:

Thank you very much!  The problem I have is not with the DSL Filter but with the splitter.  The splitter slows down the DSL connection and even interrupts it intermittently.  What can I do about this? Can I replace the box with he jack?

#1 So, let me get this straight...

What happens when you only have your DSL modem connected to this splitter?

Wall Jack -> Splitter -> DSL Modem.

Nothing else connected to the splitter but the wire to the DSL modem. No DSL Filter(s) or devices behind the DSL Filter.

#2 What is the exact model of this splitter?

I wonder if it is not just a splitter, but also makes it possible to have two phone lines.

For example 610-868-**** is the main number at my house. Before I got DSL, thanks to a special "splitter", I used to have 610-689-****.

#3 Even if you don't know the model of this spltter, I have to wonder..

Port one of this splitter, says line one.

Port two of this splitter, says line two.

Port three of this splitter, says line one plus line two.

You don't have that, do you for/on your splitter?

0 Likes