DSL Price Hike
dlg320

When I started my DSL plan with Verizon in 2008, it was around 17 or 19 dollars. Over the years, it gradually rose to around $23, which seemed reasonalble though a little high given the level of inflation. However, last year, it jumped by $10 to $33. And now, this month, it jumped to $43. What the heck is going on?!? Are there no regulations governing this kind of gross hyper profiteering over the phone lines that relie on public property access? Verizon is a monopoly in my neighborhood and they don't offer Fios here, not that I would get it after being treated so callously by them with these excessive price increases. My download speed is usually less than 0.90 mps., not worth the crazy price I'm being charged. I have no other DSL choice in my building, so the only other choice is a cable-internet-only plan that is advertised cheaper than my current DSL plan and supposedly faster (or so they claim). I don't like the cable company, but after the shabby way Verizon is treating me, I am considering switching.

I guess my question to the community forum is this: Are there no regulations regarding price changes (and other than the first price change around 2010, unwarned or preannounced as well)?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Price Hike
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dlg320 wrote:

When I started my DSL plan with Verizon in 2008, it was around 17 or 19 dollars. Over the years, it gradually rose to around $23, which seemed reasonalble though a little high given the level of inflation. However, last year, it jumped by $10 to $33. And now, this month, it jumped to $43. What the heck is going on?!? Are there no regulations governing this kind of gross hyper profiteering over the phone lines that relie on public property access? Verizon is a monopoly in my neighborhood and they don't offer Fios here, not that I would get it after being treated so callously by them with these excessive price increases. My download speed is usually less than 0.90 mps., not worth the crazy price I'm being charged. I have no other DSL choice in my building, so the only other choice is a cable-internet-only plan that is advertised cheaper than my current DSL plan and supposedly faster (or so they claim). I don't like the cable company, but after the shabby way Verizon is treating me, I am considering switching.

I guess my question to the community forum is this: Are there no regulations regarding price changes (and other than the first price change around 2010, unwarned or preannounced as well)?

Thanks.

Regulations on broadband are a bit limited in the scope at which they cover. Pricing is a bit of a regulatory grey area. Data caps are not entirely covered, and the pricing is enforced based on whether or not the government views pricing as "anti-competitive." Throttling is covered extensively with Net Neutrality.

Complain to the FCC if you are not seeing service improvements but are seeing higher prices. Over my way, Verizon has not installed any new gear for the DSL to improve service in over 10 years out in the field, so they have little means of justifying a price hike for what was always existing. Maybe installing a Juniper ERX1440 in the CO counts, but those were put in around a decade ago as well.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Price Hike
dlg320

Thanks for your response, Smith6612. As you suggested, I filed a complaint with the FCC. It will be interesting to see if they take it seriously and whether they have any power to do something about it. I will let you know what they say to me.

0 Likes