DSL Speed not even close to what I signed up/pay for.
jfalken719
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had the service for about 2 weeks now and my dsl speed is quite pathetic. I signed up for the 1.5Mb-3.0Mb residential and in a 4 year old development. Comcast had no problems when I had them but this is killing me.

Both Verizon speed test and Speedtest.net put my speeds at ~300-400k download speed. Have tested several times over the last two weeks but has not changed with time of day or anything else.

Sad part is that house is pre-wired for fiber and the POP is about 3.5 miles away from house, but FiOS not available here.

jfalken719

Westell 6100G

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL Speed not even close to what I signed up/pay for.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Your line is either in really bad shape, or it's too long to be supporting even 1Mbps service. This is indicated by both the low speeds and margins, as well as the high attention the modem is reporting. A good idea is to rule out the home's wiring first before calling Verizon out to see what they can do. If you have a NID, plug your modem into the test jack found inside of it and post up the new statistics you obtain. Additionally, if you have voice service with Verizon and it has noise/static on it, if you have the same issue occurring at the NID give Verizon a call to repair it and DSL service should improve.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If running the blue firmware, go to http://192.168.1.1/ . Choose Troubleshooting, and then click Transceiver Statistics.

If using Verizon-branded firmware (should be Red and Black), go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics. Post up the information you see on that page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

0 Likes
jfalken719
Enthusiast - Level 2

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 512 (Down) -- 448 (Up)

Margin (dB) 6.5 10.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 64.8 31.5

Transmit Power (dBm) 14.0 11.9

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Your line is either in really bad shape, or it's too long to be supporting even 1Mbps service. This is indicated by both the low speeds and margins, as well as the high attention the modem is reporting. A good idea is to rule out the home's wiring first before calling Verizon out to see what they can do. If you have a NID, plug your modem into the test jack found inside of it and post up the new statistics you obtain. Additionally, if you have voice service with Verizon and it has noise/static on it, if you have the same issue occurring at the NID give Verizon a call to repair it and DSL service should improve.
jfalken719
Enthusiast - Level 2

It turns out that there were a couple factors involved with this. The initial installer did not complete any line conditioning or test the connection to the POP. Also, the default equipment has a ringer in it for telephone diagnostics, which interferes and is not necessary for DSL. We are 20K feet from the POP, which is the longest distance you can physically support DSL lines.

So the tech that came by the other day cleaned up the connection, modded the box, checked the other distribution drops in the neighborhood and got us up to about 1.2Mb. Seems like that is the best we are going to get because of the distance limitation. Perhaps they can find a way to help that and boost us up.

Also what I thought was funny was when I asked about FiOS being available here (new construction, houses pre-wired for fiber). He despairingly looked at me and said that FiOS was pretty much stopped for now. Not sure what that means, but I know a whole development that would switch over and pay for it right away. Too bad to lose a large customer base and the income (~150 houses in development).

Good luck and thanks to all.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Glad to hear some work was done to sort it out. If you want to post up your new statistics for us to see, feel free.

Anyways, I've been waiting for ~5 years now for FiOS and it stopped two miles away from me as of a year ago. I haven't seen them build it out in my area since. It's rather sad considering they skipped over a rather large area of homes who would definitely sign up for FiOS, as well as my area where there are a ton of new homes who would take it as well. For now, it's DSL at a maximum of 3Mbps (no matter how close you are) or DOCSIS 3.0 cable but if word has it, Verizon may continue building out "FiOS" by using a system similar to what U-Verse does, via VDSL. I won't be too happy if that would be the case, but it will hold me over at least for a little while until someone invests some money into FTTH for my neighborhood which I will immediately jump onto. I would be shocked if Verizon tried VDSL in many parts of this area considering the copper network is really starting to show it's age.