DSL Time-Sharing
jcdodge

Dear Verizon,

I have paid for normal DSL bandwidth and speeds. It is apparent that you are time-sharing my connection since it takes areound 10 minutes to download a 10 MB file. That is ridiculous! I was thinking of switching to FIOS to solve the problem, but then I reaized that you might do the same thing to me there. A test of the download speed for a brief standardized message seems to show that the instantaneous speed is OK; however, the DSL just stops for periods of several minutes, I presume while others in my neighborhood are using it at full speed also. Nice trick!  But I am upset because that is not what I am paying for. You have effectively reduced my average bandwidth to 10 megabyte for every 10 minutes. One megabyte per minute! I think that the only option is cable. It seems as if Verizon is cheating me!

JD

0 Likes
Re: DSL Time-Sharing
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 This forum is peer to peer. If your issue, requires that you contant Verizon (such as billing issues) you contact them by: Snail Mail, E-mail, Phone, Online Chat (at or near real time) - see http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/contact-us/index.htm

#2 So, let us (your peers) see what is going on:

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Re: DSL Time-Sharing
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So here's something to also consider. Do your neighbors have FiOS, and do they suffer from the same exact issue? Is the problem isolated to just your connection, or do you know of neighbors still on DSL who suffer through the same issue?

Your issue sounds like the classic case of congestion. Protocols like TCP can burst an initial set of data through, but will throttle speeds aggressively if "ACKS" are not being returned by your computer at a timely manner. This means that if the data is slow getting to your machine, the data is queued in the route where the bottleneck is. Not sending back ACKs in time, or in spirts means that you'll start off fast, and drastically slow down, speed back up, slow down, and repeat. This is why Web browsing tends to feel quick, but downloads take ages.

There could be something else amuck, which DSLR will be alluding to above soon enough. If you can get the info they are looking for to us, we can get started on this.