DSL and Apple iMac 10.5 Loss of Connection problem- VZ Techs now blame computer
alee6kNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

I do not even know how to begin...

This is one of the most frustrating events with VZ Help I've ever had.

Basically, within the last few weeks my mother's internet service (Verizon DSL) started dropping out. Mind you I too have had issues and I live about a block away.

On Monday of this week her service or I should say the Internet connection completely cut out !

She uses an Apple iMac OS 10.5.x using Ethernet connection. Everything was technically working fine with the VZ Westell Modem that we had... But I followed the script for shutting down the modem then the computer powering back up etc. Even did a Reset on the Modem... All lights would flash green for DSL, Internet and Ethernet port.

Tried connecting via safari to 192.168.1.1 No Go.

No luck reconnecting.  

A whole day with VZ Tech support doing exactly the same thing over and over again including changing Ethernet cables.

Still no luck Verizon sent a new Modem D-link DSC 2750B

Still same problem.

Network settings stated that the connection was to a self assigned IP Address 169.254.241.83 Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

VZ tech and supervisor say that it is a Problem With My Computer and I should contact Apple for Help.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

(the few apple geeks i have chatted with have no clue what the heck VZ is talking about)

I'm at wits End!

HELP!

What is this IP Address "169.254.241.83"?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL and Apple iMac 10.5 Loss of Connection problem- VZ Techs now blame computer
alee6kNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Solved it by myself. 

Added AdBlock extension for Safari 2 weeks ago, when the worst of her connection issues started.

Also, Preferences / Security / Firewall was on... 

So when We via the VZ tech reset the DSL/Modem... Yes the computer was blocking the connection. 

But by software and not hardware as the VZ tech was recommending.

Once the modem is reconnected again (via Ethernet), then Firewall  & Adblock can be restarted. 

I hope that VZ will add this to the Apple Mac Tech Script... So that others do not go through the same confusing problem.

View solution in original post

Re: DSL and Apple iMac 10.5 Loss of Connection problem- VZ Techs now blame computer
alee6kNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Solved it by myself. 

Added AdBlock extension for Safari 2 weeks ago, when the worst of her connection issues started.

Also, Preferences / Security / Firewall was on... 

So when We via the VZ tech reset the DSL/Modem... Yes the computer was blocking the connection. 

But by software and not hardware as the VZ tech was recommending.

Once the modem is reconnected again (via Ethernet), then Firewall  & Adblock can be restarted. 

I hope that VZ will add this to the Apple Mac Tech Script... So that others do not go through the same confusing problem.