Devices Getting 169.x.x.x IP Address from WiFi6E Router
wldnkrazy

I'm a new Verizon customer (5 days old) and have a connectivity issue. My issue is when I try to connect a device (wired or wireless) the device gets a 169.x.x.x IP from the router. Rebooting the router fixes the issue and sometimes it does not. I did a little investigating and noticed the devices that are not connecting are getting an IPv6 address and NOT an IPv4 address. Hence the 169.x.x.x.

I've called Verizon 3 times since installation and today I was told that the issue I've been experiencing is a bug with the new WiFi 6e router and to disable 6 GHz on the router which I already did.  They promised to send me a new WiFi 6 router and that should mitigate my connectivity issue until a new firmware is released to address the connectivity issue with the WiFi 6e router.

Is anyone experiencing the same connectivity issue as I've described? Does disabling IPv6 fix the connectivity issue?

Thanks in advance,

-J

0 Likes
Re: Devices Getting 169.x.x.x IP Address from WiFi6E Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

169.254.0.0/16 is an IPv4 auto-config address. This address is automatically assigned by the client device itself in the absence of a DHCP server.

So the DHCP server of your router is turned off or something else is malfunctioning?

0 Likes
wldnkrazy

Thanks for the response but the DHCP server is not turned off on the router....it's just not assigning my device a 192.168.x.x IP address on the primary network wired or wireless. However, if I connect the guest network, it works fine.

Another strange thing I experience last night...I was connected just fine to my primary network with my iPhone and all of a sudden had no Internet access. I check to make sure I was connected to the primary WiFi and I was - when I check the IP address I was assigned a 169.x.x.x IP address. I connected to the guest WiFI and it worked. 

-J

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

It would help to post at least the brand and model of this NAT router.

For example I have the Linksys E4200 hardware version one running tomato firmware.

0 Likes