Do I need a Desktop PC for Fios?
blasian89
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to know if a desktop PC is required to have a wireless connection with fios?

My PC is broken and so we have to use the laptop with our lan connection, and it's the only laptop that will connect to the internet, no other laptop or even xbox nor ps3 can connect to our wireless connection. We have an N+ router but since our PC is broken we can't access the router CP to change our wireless settings. My parents are considering switching over to Fios and dumping Aol(thank goodness), but before doing all that, I just wanted to make sure if i will be able to have a wireless service without a Desktop PC.

thanks in advance,

Izzy

Re: Do I need a Desktop PC for Fios?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A desktop PC along with any devices that are not moving around such as Laptops or Game Consoles on FiOS should ideally be using an Ethernet connection. It isn't going anywhere so a solid connection is definitely ideal. Keeps the wireless running fast for devices that actually use it. Less the devices the better it tends to run. But no, a wireless connection is not required if a wired connection is available, and vice versa. It's a matter of preference.

Anyhow, there is no need to have a PC connected through Ethernet to have Wireless service. The router should be configured on an Ethernet connection, but there are many homes that simply use Wireless only. The router does the managing of the connection, so there's really nothing to worry about. For now, if you wish to get your devices online using your N+ router (which I would suggest using for Wireless over the provided router from Verizon), just hook the laptop up using an Ethernet connection and access the router though your web browser. From there, you can configure the router so that it will work with your current service for as long as it is not dial-up, and eventually FiOS if/when you do get hooked up with the service.

Oh, and for Wireless security I STRONGLY suggest using WPA2-PSK AES. If your router is using WEP change it when possible.

Re: Do I need a Desktop PC for Fios?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short ... no, a desktop is not required.   In fact, no computer is required.   If you want to make configuration changes to the router (to change the security settings for instance), then you need some form of PC or system with a browser, but any kind will generally do.

You do realize that you should be able to plug your laptop into the N+ router and use it to access the configuration page of the router, right?